Coleslaw for pulled pork sandwich

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Looking for some help to dial in out coleslaw recipe. I pulled some pork and made sandwiches and DW made coleslaw, but it just didn’t hit the mark. Not bad, but I felt like it needed something. Not sure if it needed more tang, like more vinegar, or maybe some different spices for some heat/zip? Is there a classic slaw recipe for pulled pork sandwiches? My thought is that it needs to be creamy and a bit strong so that you can tell it’s there. The slaw DW made was kinda just there. It didn’t really add anything to the sandwich.

Also, besides ingredients, how do you cut the cabbage? She ran it through a food processor blade (a shredding blade) and I thought it was just too finely chopped. Thinking it needs to be rough cut by hand to get it some substance.

Note, I’m not criticizing DW. It was good slaw. We finished it in a dish with a fork. It just wasn’t what the sandwich needed.

FWIW, I tend to use a sweet and spicy bbq sauce on my pulled pork. Maybe that needs adjusted too. Looking for a sandwich that’s better than average which is what I think we accomplished (average) with our last attempt.

Thanks.

I use a traditional slaw recipe

Hand sliced cabbage into thin slices
Mix of purple and green cabbages
Shredded carrot if you like a sweet note

Slice the cabbages with a knife actually shredding the slices
Lightly salt the cabbage and let sit for 1-2 hours
Meanwhile, mix 1-2 cups of mayo - more mayo if you like creamy, less if you like a lighter dressing
Lemon juice or if you want more bite, ACV or Red wine vinegar
A pinch of sugar - if you like sweet, add more sugar
A pinch of celery seed
A nice heaping of fresh ground black pepper
Drain the salted cabbage of all water and discard the water
Add the cabbage into the above slaw dressing
Slaw is better the next day but you can eat it after a 4-6 hour marinade
Shake/mix/incorporate all the dressing across all the slaw to ensure uniformity

If your bbq sauce is sweet and you want it less sweet add ACV and or some Tabasco to it

We like a slaw that’s creamy with an acidic finish. We don’t really like sweet slaw so we tweak towards more acids and light sugar.

Note: my recipe is adapted from this base recipe: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robert-irvine/cole-slaw-recipe0-1947123

My take on slaw is that it's not there to change/fix/modify the taste of the meat. It's a condiment. The lovely Janis makes a pork sauce with plenty of bite and spice that wakes up the taste of the pork. The slaw adds crunch and creates a cooling layer on the finish.

BTYW, I do like Brett's prep of the cabbage. Nice thin hand-cut slices make for a happy sammich.

Jeff

Make up a mason jar of Bama white sauce. Which is acv heavy.

Use that as the cole slaw dressing.

Bob Gibson is the classic recipe. But I personally like Pat Martin’s recipe from Nashville.

I cut the cabbage in half, then into quarters, remove the stem/core, and then slice along an angle slicing at an angle starting at the end away from the core. I like nice long slices so cutting on the angle allows me to choose the thickness.

Often 1/2 a cabbage is enough so the other gets wrapped for the next day or so.

as far as dressing? I push the easy button and use Marie's original.

1662148929963.png

Bob Gibson is the classic recipe. But I personally like Pat Martin’s recipe from Nashville.
I can see how that would be tasty but not sure it would be what I’m looking for. Some of the spices seem out of place for a slaw.

That Bama white sauce is close to the slaw sauce. But with some extra in it.

Here’s a link for those wanting Bama sauce, though I have not made it, it sounds great.

Looking for some help to dial in out coleslaw recipe. I pulled some pork and made sandwiches and DW made coleslaw, but it just didn’t hit the mark. Not bad, but I felt like it needed something. Not sure if it needed more tang, like more vinegar, or maybe some different spices for some heat/zip? Is there a classic slaw recipe for pulled pork sandwiches? My thought is that it needs to be creamy and a bit strong so that you can tell it’s there. The slaw DW made was kinda just there. It didn’t really add anything to the sandwich.

Also, besides ingredients, how do you cut the cabbage? She ran it through a food processor blade (a shredding blade) and I thought it was just too finely chopped. Thinking it needs to be rough cut by hand to get it some substance.

Note, I’m not criticizing DW. It was good slaw. We finished it in a dish with a fork. It just wasn’t what the sandwich needed.

FWIW, I tend to use a sweet and spicy bbq sauce on my pulled pork. Maybe that needs adjusted too. Looking for a sandwich that’s better than average which is what I think we accomplished (average) with our last attempt.

Thanks.
Here’s a plated pic of my slaw. Enjoy!

1662149584244.jpeg

I can see how that would be tasty but not sure it would be what I’m looking for. Some of the spices seem out of place for a slaw.
Jerry, have you tried this?
I have and liked it alot.

Jerry, have you tried this?
I have and liked it alot.
Unfortunately, DW cannot consume dairy. If that’s the thing I’m missing, I’ll have trouble getting there.

No dairy, and Thanks' Bob!

I’m with Dan on the easy button.
I use Marie’s sauce and I am not ashamed to admit it.
I am a bit ashamed to admit that I buy the pre made bags of mixed cabbage at Safeway.

Jerry, I am the same way. I like several types of cole slaw and many are sweet (in fact today I will do the prep for a delicious pineapple slaw, to be assembled tomorrow).
I do a lot of experimenting for my slaw SIDE dishes.

But I don't want the slaw on top of my PP sandwich to be sweet. I just make a simple basic slaw and add a small amount of sour cream and some horseradish, to taste.
You said no dairy, but try the horseradish. Maybe just add it to your wife's recipe.
Sometimes I add a dash of celery salt, too.

I think you will like it. What you described is what I like on my sandwich, but I prefer shredded cabbage and use a sweet and smoky sauce - not spicy.
And I definitely want creamy for a sandwich, so I use more mayo and less apple cider vinegar.

Good luck with your search. I hope you find a version that you both can enjoy.

Hers one we like. Goes really good on pulled pork.
‘Recipe is from loveandlemons.com

1662213562792.jpg

Broccoli Slaw​

To Try
Prep Time: 30 mins Servings: Serves 2 Source: loveandlemons.com

INGREDIENTS​

1 1/2 cups julienned broccoli stems
1 cup small broccoli florets
1/2 cup julienned carrots
1/2 cup sliced red cabbage
1/8 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds, reserve some for garnish
1/6 cup dried cranberries, reserve some for garnish
Coleslaw Dressing, omit the celery seed

DIRECTIONS​

In a large bowl, combine the broccoli stems, florets, carrots, cabbage, onion, almonds, and cranberries.
Drizzle with about ¾ of the dressing and toss to coat. Add more dressing, if desired. Garnish with the reserved almonds and cranberries and serve.

NOTES​

Note: for a shortcut, you can use a 12- to 16-ounce bag of store-bought broccoli slaw in place of the broccoli stem, florets, carrot, and cabbage. Adjust the amount of dressing to your liking.

1662213700071.jpg

Coleslaw Dressing​

To Try
Prep Time: 5 mins Servings: Serves 2 Source: loveandlemons.com

INGREDIENTS​

Scant 3/8 cup mayo or Vegan Mayo
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
3/8 teaspoon celery seeds
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS​

In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, apple cider vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, celery seeds, salt, and several grinds of fresh pepper.
Serve with about 8 cups cabbage coleslaw mix.

When serving with BBQ, I always make a vinegar slaw or substitute 2% milkfat yogurt for the mayonnaise if going creamy. BBQ is so rich and fatty, the the mayo is really overkill.

Back