Clean your Kettle ??

John Sully

TVWBB Fan
I have a 22" Master Touch and always make sure the grates and exterior are clean and well maintained. Grill is covered all the time. Do the interior of the bowl and lid need to be cleaned once in a while too ?

I personally don't clean it - but I also don't let grease drip down into the bowl. I keep the loose material brushed off the bowl and dome. As long as the ash sweeper moves freely, I am good.

If stuff is flaking off, go ahead.
If it's making your food taste funny, sure.
If there's enough build-up that there may be a grease fire, absolutely.

Otherwise it's really just a matter of how shiny you want it to be.

John, I do. I've had ash accumulate and harden in a layer that eventually caused the blades of the One-Touch system to warp away from the bowl. So, now I like to sweep away any leftover ash in the bowl and get a water hose, sponge, and dish liquid to scrub the bowl every once in a while. I also use a drip tray when doing reverse sear or other two-zone grilling.

I have a 22" Master Touch and always make sure the grates and exterior are clean and well maintained. Grill is covered all the time. Do the interior of the bowl and lid need to be cleaned once in a while too ?
It depends on what you’ve been cooking and what it looks like. I only use my kettle for steaks now and it looks good.
When I used it for meatloaf and chicken I used a drip pan and occasionally cleaned it.

I'm more concerned about that than the exterior. You don't have to do it every time but grease can mix with the ash and buildup on your sweepers and underneath causing the vents to not close. Also you could get a grease fire if it's bad enough.

Yea definitely use a plastic or wooden scraper ( I use a wood shim ) to scrape away grease.
I do a couple of burn offs a year. Lid needs to be brushed off on the inside.
If you wait too long you can have a grease fire at the most impromptu moment.:D

I treat it like say a car if it is dirty clean it.
Every cook put grease fumes in the air which collect on your kettle lower bowl and lid. Even if you use a drip pan or not. A plastic putty knife to take off the built up stuff, and once a year I do a deep cleaning with simple green and SOS pads and a single edge razor blades to scape off the stubborn stuff. If you do not clean it you can not see corrosion areas, or cracks .
Then the fun begins you get to make it dirty again .

@John Sully , I too use a 2" wide plastic scraper to clean the inside of the bowl, about two or three times a year. Another thing I use is a stiff bristle plastic scrub brush used for scrubbing tires. It works well to sweep the ash down that the One Touch won't get and to remove the flaking that accumulates under the lid. That's all I do, preferring not to remove any seasoning. Oh, and of course the grates get brushed with every use.
That Master Touch is a nice grill. Sounds like you take really good care of it. (y)

Last edited:
I clean the grates before and after every cook with a wood scrapper and a wire brush.

Inside bowl I make sure there's no ash in the bottom and do a scrub down with a plastic brush (I think it's for grout or something) if there's build-up.

I brush the grate before and after every cook. Once in a while I'll lightly scrape the inside of the lid and bowl to get the flaking buildup off and then hit the outside with simple green to shine her up.

To make it clear, I clean my grates before and after a cook ,and wipe with a rag that has oil on it before the meat goes on.
I scrape the bowl down to remove build up every month or so depending on often I cook on it. And in the spring I usually was down the bowl to have good clean pot to cook in.
I clean my kitchen after at least every meal , wash the stove, and dishes why not keep your grill the same way.
Do you only clean your car once a year.
I do not spit shine in I just get rid of the heavy stuff.

I cannot remember the last time either of my trucks got washed. Oh, ok, my blue truck after hunting one day because it was absolutely covered in mud. And even then it was about a week later....I legitimately may wash my trucks once a year, if that.

My grills get about the same, but I never clean the grates any more than brushing before food goes on.

I don’t tend to wash the car that much, I do more in the winter but, right now, I haven’t washed it this season, too cold! I don’t like having doors freeze.
When spring comes around, I will clean and polish the kettles, WSM and sand the table. Four fresh coats of tung oil and I will be ready for another glorious summer of grilling and smoking pleasure!

Well this is my truck over 8 years old I paid alot of money for it so I take care of it, all my maintenance is up to date. And we pull this around, yes my truck does not have alot of miles on it (125k) but then i am retired and have another car .but i was offered 45k for it by my RAM dealer last month so it pays to take care of it. But to each his own. I like the exercise. 20210814_131324.jpg20191028_170956.jpg20210816_184700.jpg

Back