Fire in the Hole !

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
LOL
icon_rolleyes.gif

I do alot of indirect on the OTG. Normally about 3-4 times a year I dump 1/2 a chimney on that side and do a burn-off of the leftover fat and grease on an empty grill.

Well it's been a while, and last nite in preps for doing 7 NY strips I came outside to this.
The pics don't do it justice as those flames were at least 3-4' tall..
So a friendly reminder clean out your grills occasionally and watch out for those grease fires!

Tim

On a nice day like today, that could have been just like sitting by an outdoor fireplace.

Yea I use a drip-pan for roasts and such, never saw a need for one on smaller thangs like chk pcs,chops,burgers,steaks or sausage.
I should just rotate my indirect area more often rather than just using one dedicated side.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
Yea I use a drip-pan for roasts and such, never saw a need for one on smaller thangs like chk pcs,chops,burgers,steaks or sausage.
I should just rotate my indirect area more often rather than just using one dedicated side.

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I've been doing - rotating my direct/indirect side when grilling every other cook. I have to set up my kettle for smoking in one certain way, because the lid will only seal up really well facing one direction. Was going to try a new lid, etc. but it works well enough as-is, so I don't worry about it being super air tight.

I also use an aluminum drip pan under everything, as it keeps the kettle cleaner and mostly grease free. When I want to burn everything out, I fire up a whole chimney of lump charcoal and spread it across the charcoal grate, then let it burn completely down to ash with the lid off. After it cools, I spray it out with a hose and a little Simple Green cleaner. This is good enough to prevent flare-ups for many cooks.

T hank's for the feed back.
I'm going to start a thread on when to use a drip-pan on the kettle.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

I use a pan on something big like a roast but usually not on something small. Have a sister-in-law that works at WalMart and she got me a whole bunch of disposable aluminum pans in different sizes a couple of years ago from a damaged shipment + I save and use disposable pie pans. I also usually use my charcoal side baskets when I cook indirect.

Back