Citrus marinated cuban pork shoulder. Looking for temp and time and tecnique reccomendations

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I am trying to modify a recipe for Cuban pork shoulder for the grill today.

the recipe ( googled from saveuer magazine) is a 30 clove garlic paste with oregeno smeared in and marinated overnight in lime/orange juice. It’s been in the marinade overnight so now to figure the best way to cook.

The recipe calls for putting in a roasting pan and adding 2 cups of water cover with parchment paper and cook at 325 for 5 hours until it reached 180. I was thinking of doing this in the kettle in a pan with one charcoal basket and cooking on the cook side of the grill. Then maybe transferring to the oven to finish if necessar.

Looking for suggestions on how to use a grill or WSM to get the best flavor for this dish?

thanks

If you wrap it from the beginning, I don’t see a whole Lotta smoke flavor getting into the meat.

I would start it on the Weber unwrapped for an hour or so and then wrap it and transfer it to the oven.

And don’t cook it to 180.... :confused:

Tom, this is going to cook up similarly to the Pernil that @Preston B did for New Year's, and I just copied last weekend with some small pork butt roasts. I cooked my 2lb pieces at 300 on the grill for a bit over 3 hours, and I did take them to 180. I will disagree with Greg on the target finished temp......180 is perfect, sliceable, and juicy pork shoulder......you could take it to 200 if you want to shred/pull, since you're just cooking a shoulder with different spices than your traditional pulled pork. I pumped my temp to 450 for the last 10 minutes to crisp a bit, which would give you a nice texture to the fat cap if you leave it on.

If you want to limit your smoke flavor on this one, then just start on the grill uncovered, 300F, for as long as you want smoke (2-3 hours, maybe?), then move to a 300-350F oven, and you could cover with the parchment at that point to stay somewhat connected to the recipe. I think this sounds like a fun cook, and I'd love to see what you come up with!

HERE is the Pernil I did last weekend, and below is a picture of it sliced after cooking to 180 and resting 10 minutes:

1611509648295.png

Sounds similar to the Latin roasted pork from JOY, except they reccomend a picnic.
I've done that numerous times on the kettle and I do like Rich said.
180 is perfect for slicing..
I actually have one going in the oven now lol.

I think picnic is the traditional cut for this but butts at .99/lb at Meijer made that decision for me

I have it on the kettle since 10:30 with only one basket of coals but that wasn't hot enough so at 2.5 hrs in I added a second basket and moved it to the center.

Its a 7.5 lb shoulder Didn't wrap at all used two chunks of Oak. I may move it to the oven when my fire dies down I could cover with parchment or just put in a large square corning ware with a glass top. whats the benefit of parchment?

I like fall apart more than sliceable and its a bone in butt so may go higher on the finish temp. interesting perspective on the temps... I thought at 180 it would still be tough but it doesn't sound like thats your experience Rich.

Flavor was excellent ..... the muscles away from the bone made it to 200 and sliced/pulled nicely. The muscle on the top of the t bone only made it to 180 or so and it was a little dry. It was a great different use for a pork Butt than my normal BBQ and I'll definately will try it again

Thank you for all the insights and shared experiences

The last time I did Pernil I used a Boston Butt. Seasoned and marinated with the Pernil seasonings. I cooked it on my Smokefire at 250 degrees just like I would a Pork Butt for BBQ pulled Pork. I served it pulled and it was a big hit with my family. The Garlic totally overpowered any smoke flavor I got.

Back