chuck steak help.....

Becky M-M

TVWBB Pro
i know a few here are big fans of chuck steaks on the grill.

i can do ok with the thinner types... but i have tried a couple of times to make a thicker chuck steak and they dont get tender.

i usually hit them direct for a couple minutes then cook them indirect. but.... sadly..... they do not come out great.

i know Mr. Lampe is a big fan of these... i dont know who else cooks them often.

Becky DEAR!
Chuck EYE Steaks! chuck eyes are what you want to look for in the stores.
Chuck steaks are not the same. Chucks are tougher than EYES...
When EYES are grilled, I do them over HIGH heat and keep flippin'um until you like what you see
icon_biggrin.gif

IN FACT.... guess what i'll grillin' TONIGHT!

oh jeez!
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

i feel like such a newbie... ugh. and when i was at the store, i said to myself, i think i should be looking for chuck EYE steaks. but i couldnt find them, so i figured it was one of those names that is interchangeable. actually i havent seen them at the four grocery stores i frequent around here.

so i just bought 6lbs of chuck steaks ..... hmmmm maybe i can try out Pepper Stout Beef with them, just be shorter cook time because they are six steaks.

becky, it's ok, you can use the chucks for your PSB cook, i know they're work nicely there.
Bob Correll turned me on to chuck eyes and i never looked back. I also bought CHUCKS the 1st time & thought... what the h3ll??!!
then i realized my mistake.
CE's are hard to find at times and many stores do not carry them. Danny, you COULD reverse sear them, butt i find enjoyment flipping them constantly over a hot coal bed while i sip gin from a fancy-dancy martini glass (something i saw on a late-night television motion picture
icon_wink.gif
)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Becky M-M:
i know a few here are big fans of chuck steaks on the grill.

i can do ok with the thinner types... but i have tried a couple of times to make a thicker chuck steak and they dont get tender.

i usually hit them direct for a couple minutes then cook them indirect. but.... sadly..... they do not come out great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How thick are the ones you're having trouble with, and what's your desired degree of doneness?

I love chuck steak but 1-1/4" is about as thick as I'll go, as I don't like to go beyond medium rare and I prefer to use direct grilling for the entire cook. Here's one I grilled last summer:

ChuckSteak20110607_4.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Becky M-M:
oh jeez!
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

i feel like such a newbie... ugh. and when i was at the store, i said to myself, i think i should be looking for chuck EYE steaks. but i couldnt find them, so i figured it was one of those names that is interchangeable. actually i havent seen them at the four grocery stores i frequent around here.

so i just bought 6lbs of chuck steaks ..... hmmmm maybe i can try out Pepper Stout Beef with them, just be shorter cook time because they are six steaks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's still plenty you can do with Chuck steaks. However, you just can't cook them rare. I like to pound them out and put them an a kalbi/bulgogi marinade, then cook them like I would Korean BBQ.

i have bought some thinner steaks.... 1/2 inch or so... and just looking for tender. i figured out they couldnt be done rare... so i know they need to be on longer. but they just dont seem to get tender.

the ones i have now might be a bit thicker. i would like to try something with them on the grill tomorrow.

"Chuck steak" is a very generic term. If that is all the package says don't bother. They are likely cut from roasts that should not be steaked.

There are, however, good cuts from the chuck that make more than suitable steaks and are good for grilling. One is a steak cut from the chuck eye, the other (and one of my favorite steaks) is from the top blade. If the top blade roast was cut correctly (horizontally, the inner gristle line removed) they are known as flat iron steaks. If not cut correctly (cut perpendicular, the gristle line in the center of every steak) they are often labeled top blade steak or chuck top blade steak. These are okay, but one either needs to remove the meat from either side of the gristle line first, or after cooking, know to eat the meat on either side of the gristle. It will not melt or become tender during cooking.

"Steak" simply means a crosscut from a roast. Its appearance on a label has nothing to do with its appropriateness for grilling or its tenderness. Meat departments sell a lot tough cuts that they cut into steaks because they know people will buy the small package and most people are intimidated by roasts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the ones i have now might be a bit thicker. i would like to try something with them on the grill tomorrow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are they boneless? If so, why not cut one or two of them into smaller pieces and try a couple of different things? One of my favorite approaches is to season each side with salt and pepper, put onion powder on one side and garlic powder on the other, and then pat a little soy sauce into each side. Let it sit for a couple of hours (or even a day) and then grill direct over charcoal. Sure, it won't be tender like a filet or ribeye but if you slice it thin and have a decent set of teeth it shouldn't be a problem.

I think i will cut them smaller and try out different things. i hadnt dont direct, always a quick sear then indirect.

also.... i usually stew or braise them. i was trying to grill them they way Mr. Lampe does.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
"Chuck steak" is a very generic term. If that is all the package says don't bother. They are likely cut from roasts that should not be steaked.

There are, however, good cuts from the chuck that make more than suitable steaks and are good for grilling. One is a steak cut from the chuck eye, the other (and one of my favorite steaks) is from the top blade. If the top blade roast was cut correctly (horizontally, the inner gristle line removed) they are known as flat iron steaks. If not cut correctly (cut perpendicular, the gristle line in the center of every steak) they are often labeled top blade steak or chuck top blade steak. These are okay, but one either needs to remove the meat from either side of the gristle line first, or after cooking, know to eat the meat on either side of the gristle. It will not melt or become tender during cooking.

"Steak" simply means a crosscut from a roast. Its appearance on a label has nothing to do with its appropriateness for grilling or its tenderness. Meat departments sell a lot tough cuts that they cut into steaks because they know people will buy the small package and most people are intimidated by roasts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, so to be sure, can you cut flat irons out of whole chuck rolls?

Becky,
If you're into crock pot cooking, you might try this, if you have a surplus:

cut 1.5 to 2 lbs. into bite size pieces, place in the crock pot
sprinkle over about a half package of dry onion soup mix
add a splash or two of Worcestershire sauce if you like
dump 1 can of mushroom soup on the top
cook low about 6 hrs.
cool a bit and add 1/3 cup sour cream, stir and serve over egg noodles, or rice

I make this with round steak, but chuck should be good too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">sprinkle over about a half package of dry onion soup mix </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Becky,
Bob's suggestion is a good one. I often use mushroom/onoin soup mix for an added flavor.
Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
Becky,
If you're into crock pot cooking, you might try this, if you have a surplus:

cut 1.5 to 2 lbs. into bite size pieces, place in the crock pot
sprinkle over about a half package of dry onion soup mix
add a splash or two of Worcestershire sauce if you like
dump 1 can of mushroom soup on the top
cook low about 6 hrs.
cool a bit and add 1/3 cup sour cream, stir and serve over egg noodles, or rice

I make this with round steak, but chuck should be good too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sounds good Bob.... sounds like something my family would enjoy over egg noodles.

funny thing is... i have always loved cooking outside... and since joining this site, i rarely use my crockpot and the oven. i have gotten pretty good at cooking most things on the grill. and with my new additions it will be much easier with the extra room. this sounds like a good set-for-after-Sundaychurch dinner.

You can braise in your grill. Depending on quantity, you can simply smoke the meat for a little while then add it to foil (or a foil pan or a CI Dutch oven), along with the aromatics and liquid(s) of your choice and keep cooking. No need to try to grill 'chuck steak' and try to turn it into something it isn't. Braise it and let it shine.

See here, here (scroll down to the paragraph after the tri-tip, for a chuck-oriented post) and here.

Anything you can make in a CrockPot, including Bob's recipe, you can make in your grill.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Kevin, so to be sure, can you cut flat irons out of whole chuck rolls? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> No, chuck roll doesn't contain the top blade. Shoulder clod does - and that is what you would cut them out of., separating the top blade out first, then horizontally cutting to remove the gristle line. No need to get a whole clod though. Just ask at the counter for a whole top blade roast. Then cut as noted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Kevin, so to be sure, can you cut flat irons out of whole chuck rolls? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> No, chuck roll doesn't contain the top blade. Shoulder clod does - and that is what you would cut them out of., separating the top blade out first, then horizontally cutting to remove the gristle line. No need to get a whole clod though. Just ask at the counter for a whole top blade roast. Then cut as noted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks.

See this, Dave. Note the retangular shape of the top blade. If the butcher simply crosscut it, it would be cut into small steaks that would each contain the gristle line in the middle. This is very commonly seen in meat department cases because it is so easy to do. Doesn't make the best steaks though.

In this case however he cuts correctly into flat irons. Note that at ~ 00:28 he horizontally cuts through the top blade (just above the membrane - the gristle line), then removes this top piece (which will be halved later into two steaks) and flips over the remaining meat. He then cuts the top off this remaining piece, placing his knife just above the gristle line. This piece will also be cut into two steaks.

Back