Christmas

I haven't done it yet, but thinking of smoking a standing rib roast (or maybe three or four ribs worth) w/ some lump and oak. Chris has logged a few cooks in his cooking topics.

We usually do a rib roast. We are going to try it on the WSM this year work schedule and weather permitting. Also going to have my first try at yorkshire pudding as well. As long as I have the WSM going, I figure it might work out ok.

Prime rib roast is classic. I think I'm going with a tenderloin though.

What I really want for Christmas is a nice sauce that would go with the tenderloin but that doesn't take a degree in cooking to prepare. Something just a little more difficult than opening up an au jus packet would be right up my alley.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We usually do a rib roast. We are going to try it on the WSM this year work schedule and weather permitting. Also going to have my first try at yorkshire pudding as well. As long as I have the WSM going, I figure it might work out ok. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck with the yorkshire pudding. It is one of my wife's specialties. Really adds to the rib roast meal.

I always do a ham to take the the inlaws for Christmas Eve. It's our little tradition.

I can't wait to find out what Jim has planned.
icon_smile.gif

I'm being paid to do a couple Tri-Tips and a couple dozen Chicken Thighs for someones Christmas Dinner party. I'll make a few bucks by doing what I would want to be doing anyway.

Turkey breast and ham. Does anyone have the mustard bourbon glaze recipe that Chris A. posted last year? Thanks in advance!

Chris has a mustard-whiskey glaze here.

Not doing the holiday this year. Will be traveling. Usually I do a three-day, flavor-brined fresh ham.

My wife has got a French bistro theme going for xmas eve dinner. I'm going to do some tenderloin and she's going to serve it with bernaise sauce. I'm not sure what else will constitute dinner as most of this month has been devoted to working on the pre-dinner stuff.

1) last month, saucisson of pork tenderloin which is complete and vac packed

2) last week, Champagne sausage, also complete and frozen

3) pork rillettes finished on tuesday and hanging out in the fridge under a layer of fat

4) today I bought escargot dishes and 10 lbs of beef bones for stock which will eventually be onion soup.

5) berkshire belly is curing and will be smoked on sunday, and ultimately will become lardons for the frisee salad

are we nuts or what?

My Christmas gift to the family is that I buy and cook Christmas dinner. This year I am doing a 9 pound boneless rib roast, creamed spinach, smashed potatoes, and a salad. Haven't decided what I am doing for dessert yet.

I think my sis and bro-in-law are cooking dinner this year, so I'll just relax and enjoy. I'm planning on a brisket this weekend; my son is home from college (Go Ducks!), so he can help me eat it.
icon_smile.gif

We're doing heavy hors d’oeuvres at my parents' place. I'll be contributing Filet Mignon Crostini with Balsamic Onion Jam. Got that recipe from Weber's recipe of the week, back when the e-mail used to actually contain the recipe.
icon_rolleyes.gif

If you haven't tried it, give it a shot. Great recipe, and always a big hit. Fairly simple to make ahead too, which is nice.

Both daughters and their husbands will be home so I am smoking ribs, prolbably St Loius style. Also will have baked beens, slawB and corn bread. May not be the most tradvitional but definitely favorites.
Mike

Lobster for Christmas Eve and a standing rib roast for Christmas Day. Staying home this year for the first time I can remember.

Brisket for Christmas Eve using the WSM. Using the rotisserie ring on my kettle for the Christmas turkey and heating up/adding smoke to a spiral ham using my Genisis. Thus far the ony thing not getting a workout will be my Smoky Joe.

Fresh steamship leg-o-pork and a turkey on the WSM 22. Randalls has their Ranchers Reserve whole bone-in ribeye in cryo at $3.99/lb so may do that on the Fire Magic rotisserie.

Randy

I havent incorporated the grill or smoker into Christmas yet, but we cook alot of food. Everybody used to congregate to Moms house on Christmas but I've taken over the host duties. Its my parents sides of the family and my wifes parents sides of her family and everybody comes to our house.

Christmas Eve(9 guest)6 pm: Jerk Pork Tenderloin w/ mango chutney, roasted New Red Potatoes, Asparagus w/ garlic, red onion, olive olive, homemade ciabatta.

Christmas Morning(20+ guest) 8am: Oyster Stew, Jimmy Dean's Sausage and Egg Casserole, Sausage Rice, Country Ham Biscuits, Monkey Bread, Assorted Quick Breads. Everybody brings stuff, this is my favorite meal of the year.

Christmas Dinner(14 guest) 3pm: Garden Salad, Roasted Sirloin Tip Roast(might switch to WSM) w/ Minions Horseradich Sauce, Brussel Sprouts pan seared w/bacon, garlic and onion, thinking of switching to Hasselbacks for the starch, Moms homemade rolls. Not sure on desserts.

Day After Christmas(12+ guest) 6pm: Caesar Salad, Lasagna, some sort of good bread and Im not sure about anything else. We just thought we might want something that wasnt a traditional "Christmas Food".

Back