Christmas

Nothing, stuck at in laws. Have been informed by my wife there is to be no cooking, it will make MIL feel bad cause her food sucks.

Rib Roast is the plan, as it's always on sale at the local grocery store, around this time. Might do some BB rib Christmas eve too.

I don't have any traditions with the grill yet, but I'm eager to get a few started!

This year, I'll be flying to Portland, Oregon with my wife and kids to see her brother and his wife for a week over the Christmas holiday, so I'm not expecting to be grilling/smoking anything. However, my brother-in-law owns an 18" OTS, and although I don't know if he has a chimney, lump, smoking wood or anything else like that, I may suggest that I smoke-roast something on Christmas Eve…but I'm not going to push it.
icon_biggrin.gif
And of course, since we're flying, I can't take any of my normal supplies along. My mother- and father-in-law (who live in Boise) will be on the road and stopping by for that meal, so if I do end up cooking a roast or something special on his grill, I'll have my camera so I can take pics and report back here (of COURSE).

We'll also be having a Holiday gathering with our friends for New Year's Eve, and for that meal, I will be smoke-roasting a 5 lb. bone-in rib roast, and maybe some potatoes. I'll try to get pics of that and post, as well.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Barret

Being Jewish, I don't celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday. However, when the opportunity arises to cook a little something special, why should a little thing like that get in my way? So, the little woman and I will have a roast of some sort that I'll do on my kettle.
Wishing you all a wonderful holiday season, great cooks, and a happy new year.

Smoking a ham. Worked out a trade with a friend... My patrami for his world class bread pudding. Of course no point in making just ONE pastrami!

Ron

Hey Barret,

At least in Portland you will have lots of good beer available !

Oh, and for Xmas Eve we will do something easy. Maybe some steaks & fixins. For Xmas dinner it will be one of the locally sourced turkeys, the trick will be to get one under 20 lbs.

Best wishes to all.

I am cooking a country ham. It is wonderful but it is not smoked. It is "gasp" boiled in a turkey fryer, insulated for 24 hours in the same container, then baked to glaze. 5 day process but well worth the effort.

Folks who say they do not like country ham because of it being too salty never tried my Mothers recipe. mmmmmmm goood!

My son raised a few turkeys this summer, so we got the one that no one else wanted. A 21 lb beast to feed 17 people from age 2 and up. I am thinking leftovers will be available. I plan on Keri C's apple brine and put it in the WSM on Sun Morn Dec 26. We have my family on Dec 25, and I dont have to cook there. My Mom still likes to cook the bird, however when she gets tired of it, then I will be given the duties.

John B: You are stepping on thin ice
icon_wink.gif

I think of 2 brined pork loin´s with 2 different rubs - smoked to perfection,is a great gift to my in laws were we are going to spend the evening.

Christmas Eve is gumbo and no-knead bread.
For Christmas morn, will be waffles and either quiche or some kind of egg strata.
For Christmas dinner, doing a turkey on the kettle a la Russ Parsons Russ Parsons article Doing it like that, only on the rotisserie. Also doing a ham in the BGE, Dr. Chicken style. Wife does stuffing and rice and monkey bread (not the sweet kind). And of course gravy and other sides brought by various people. Pies for dessert (I make the pies).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark B:
...At least in Portland you will have lots of good beer available! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh yes...Portland is the beer city of the Pacific Northwest, and the US!
icon_biggrin.gif
I always love visiting my bro- and sis-in-law because we get immersed in the city's beer culture. Boise's getting better about its craft brew scene (we now have 4 locations in town that carry all kinds of good and different stuff), but Portland is still above and beyond. I know we will have a great selection of beers available to pair with no matter what we eat, grilled or not!

Looking foward to it!

Barret

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T Bounds:
Alton Brown's rib roast, same as every year. A real tradition, and good eats to boot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No pun intended....lol

nothing.
icon_mad.gif

absolutely ......... nothing.

icon_frown.gif
well, i'm 'sposta bring deviled eggs...

thought of mixin' in some Cayenne Pepper with the paprika
icon_wink.gif

Kids are asking for a turkey, so I'll be smoking one. I saw some nice rib roasts at the store today ($3.47/lb for the large end!), but they really aren't into bloody beef.

The part I'm really excited about is the tamales I'll be making on Sunday and Monday this week. Exactly how Mom taught me to do it.

Funny I was just having this conversation with my son and daughter who come see me for a week at Christmas. We usually will do a prime rib, a turkey and some steaks during their visit. This year they said they want BBQ; brisket, pork butt and ribs! Couldn't have made me more happy, sounds perfect to me. So we'll do pulled pork when they get here on the 26th so my son has that to pig out on the entire stay, we'll do ribs one day and a Wagyu brisket for New Years. I'm also be doing some bacon while they're here too. Looking forward to a Q Christmas.

I'll be grilling the once a year beef tenderloin. Nothing fancy-just olive oil, salt and pepper. And my wife will add the rest-am sure broccoli casserole will be one of the choices. My children will fly in for an all too brief visit along with two out of town sisters and brother in law and my 92 year old mother.

Christmas eve I believe we'll do a spatchcocked capon with cranberries. Now all I have left to do is all of my shopping. I love this time of year-just being home.

Les

sounds like there are some newbies doing rib roasts (I am one of them too!). Any veterans out there with some tips on doing one of these right and not ruining a $75 piece of meat!

Back