Christmas

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mikemm:
will be cooking a spanish pork shoulder (pernil)on christmas eve in the wsm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Pernil's the best! Do you make your own marinade or go store bought? I'm lazy so I go store bought.

I put on 2-7lbs butts on this morning around 4:30AM. It is about 1:30 now and they are at 190. I will pull them off around 197 and put them in a heated cooler for dinner at 6:30 tonight with my wife's family.

Me, I prefer a white for the reduction (red to drink with dinner) but you can go with red for the sauce if you prefer.

Make a paste out of garlic - run 6-8 cloves through a press - plenty of ground black pepper, a couple teaspoons of fresh thyme leaves (or a teaspoon of dried), a couple teaspoons or fresh rosemary leaves, minced (I don't recommend using dried), 2 teaspoon of granulated onion, a half-teaspoon of granulated garlic, and a half-teaspoon of coriander. Mash well together adding a half-teaspoon of Dijon mustard, a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of softened butter. If not thick enough -you want a just-spreadable paste - add some more granulated onion and/or granulated garlic and/or black pepper to thicken. Stir in a pinch of salt if the butter you used was unsalted.

Allow the roast to sit out for 30-60 min. Set your oven (or get your grill going) to 375-400?.

Sprinkle the roast with salt on all sides. Spread the paste on the roast. If you have a flack rack that will fit the pan, oil it lightly and place it in the pan. If not, cut an onion so that you will have 2 thick (about an inch) slices. Cut a celery rib into quarters crosswise. Place two onion slices and two pieces of celery in the pan so that the roast sits on top of them, as a rack. (You can also use all onion or all celery.)

Place the roast into the hot oven (or grill). Cook about 30-35 min, if typically sized, to an internal of 130?. If needed, add a splash of water to the roasting pan from time to time to prevent any drippings from burning.

Remove the pan, and remove the roast to a large piece of foil, cover with another piece, and let rest 15-20 min.

Meanwhile, deglaze the pan with the wine of choice, using about a cup and letting it reduce to 3-4 tablespoons. Stir in 1 cup of low-salt chicken stock, some freshly ground pepper, and .5-1 teaspoon of minced fresh rosemary. Remove the onions and celery, if using. Reduce this by 1/4, so that you have about a cup. Pour into a small pot then, off heat, whisk in 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard till smooth. Immediately whisk in 2 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, one tablespoon at a time, allowing each pat of butter to slowly melt into the sauce as you whisk.

Remove the roast to a platter, pouring any collected juices from the foil into your sauce pot. Fill with potatoes, if desired, making a small well to hold a couple tablespoons of sauce and, perhaps, a sprig of rosemary or thyme. Serve, passing the remaining sauce separately.

Just a thought.

My siblings and I bought my dad an 18.5" WSM for Christmas. He's a little overwhelmed but we're trying to ease him into it with several smokes while we're in town for a visit.

For the maiden voyage, we did 4 beer can chickens last night, right out of the box. They were perfectly juicy and fork tender after two hours.

We're doing ABT's and a few MOINKS for Christmas Eve tonight.

We're doing two 15 lb. turkeys (dry-brined with salt) with a compound herb butter under and on the skin tomorrow for Christmas Dinner tomorrow afternoon.

And finally, we bought two 8.5lb pork butts that we'll rub down tonight and smoke overnight on Christmas night (Renowned Mr. Brown-style) to be served just in time for the Bucs game Sunday afternoon.

Go ahead and try to stop us! We're gonna smoke 'til we drop!

Anjyone have any idea how long i should be smoking a beef tenderloin? i know i have to go by internal temp, but i have no idea how long to smoke it and im worried about time constraints with guests.

its for 12 people. my wife bought it and it looks to be about 10 lbs.

any thoughts?

thanks in advance

If smoking in the 225-250 range you can usually expect it to be about 50-75 minutes till target, depending on target and actual cooktemps. At that point you can sear to finish, just a few minutes direct, turning frequently. Then rest the meat, tented; platter and server, or slice, platter and serve.

I've done rib roasts on the WSM twice before. Once was high heat - around 300-325 and the other I did low and slow. Both were good but I preferred the low and slow for more even cooking. I'll be doing one this year - 7.23 pounds bone in Prime Angus...should be tasty.

Visiting my wife's in Florida, so sadly, really no cooking duties for me. Well, they did ask me about the temperature to pull the turkey and let me take care of that, and had me carve it. No one else really knew what they were doing. That's all.

Thanks for all the comments. I did a whole beef tenderloin from Costco. I used a little oil on the outside, then added a salt and 5 pepper crust (followed a recipe from Cooks Illustrated). Cooked the tenderloin on the WSM with a mix of Hickory and Apple at around 300 degres to an internal temp of 120. Then did a reverse sear until a final temp of 130. Rested it, then foiled and brought it over to my mom's place for dinner. It was a big hit.

I grilled up a pair of tenderloins on a primo jr and served them with sauce bearnaise.

Pics are here

I've been following Kevin's advice of salting ahead of time and allowing the meat time to sweat and reabsorb the moisture. It worked great with the tenderloin, and gives you a salty exterior even if you lose a bit of your salt and pepper crust to the grill.

Did a simple s&p and reverse sear on the tenderloin and it was by far the best I have ever made. I got "great" or "perfect" from everyone.

The crown came out awesome. Maybe a bit undercooked for some people but I loved it personally. I think I'm gonna leave it in a bit longer for about a 135 internal next time. I ended up doing a gratin actually because I simply just didn't want to mess with the serving aspect of the complicated mashed potatoe presentation. But I did do the sauce as suggested and it was a huge success. White wine is the way to go for lamb. Wen't off without a hitch, very quick and is extremely tasty. Perfect for a night like XMas eve or day. Will be doing this one again! Thanks Kevin.

Wonderful. I'm glad it went well. (I love potato gratin; that would have been my choice!) I'm pleased you liked the sauce.

You can certainly go a bit higher on the finish temp. I have those I do lamb for that like it barely a breath past rare, and others who like it more medium. I'm in the middle. As long as you don't go too long it's quite forgiving and equally delicious.

Back