Christmas Spiral Ham and Two Toned Scalloped Potatoes

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
After turkey overload we decided on a nice Spiral Ham for Christmas. Sided it up with Two Toned Scalloped Potatoes. Here's a few pic's.

Used OJ, Apple Juice, brown sugar and honey to make a glaze which I applied to the ham. Then followed it up with a rub of brown sugar, Turbinado sugar, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and paprika. Used a Malcom Reed recipe for this.

enhance

Got it on one of my kettles running at 275. Apple for smoke.

enhance

Got to work on the potatoes. Sliced some Yukon's and Sweet potatoes, 1/8" thick. (hence the two tone)

enhance

Placed half the potatoes into a 4 qt dutch oven. Added some grated Gruyere, a parsley/rosemary mixture and salt and pepper.

enhance

Made a sauce with heavy cream, flour, chopped garlic, butter and s&p. Added half to the potatoes. Repeated with remaining ingredients.

enhance

Got in going on a grill too.

enhance

After half hour removed lid and added a layer of Panko.

enhance

Took a peek at the ham. It's getting there.

enhance

After another half hour the potatoes were nice and bubbly. All done.

enhance

Ham probed about 138. Called it good after 3 hours. Brought in house and let rest tented for about 10 minutes.

enhance

enhance

Plated it up with some baby carrots.

enhance

This rounded out a wonderful Christmas day for us. Hope yours was equally as nice. Thanks for looking.

My goodness everything looks so perfect! Thanks for sharing and I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Terrific looking cook, as always, Cliff!
Thank you for keeping the PG alive with your great posts, so many of us have stopped sharing our cooks.
Hope you and yours have a great healthy and happy New Year!

After seeing Bobs comment I went back and looked at my threads on here, in June and early July I was fairly active then I only posted two more cooks one in September and the other our Thanksgiving cook since then.
Barb and I were discussing how quiet the forum has become compared to a couple of years ago. I guess I feel that we pretty much have posted what we do so now most would be repeats.
The fact is that the climate here is also getting more severe with winds and temperatures making it sometimes just plain miserable to cook outside, summer and winter.
We really enjoy the forum so I'm going to make an effort to contribute more whether good, bad or indifferent and like Bob said thanks to all of you that are still posting the great cooks that you do.

Cliff, that was an awesome dinner you did. Love the ham but I like the potato recipe will give that one a try. Happy New Year to you and your wife.

Thank you everyone!

Terrific looking cook, as always, Cliff!
Thank you for keeping the PG alive with your great posts, so many of us have stopped sharing our cooks.
Hope you and yours have a great healthy and happy New Year!

Thanks Bob! I certainly do miss your posts. They're part of what attracted me to the PG in the first place. I'll hang in there for a while, but I'm sorry the gallery's declining popularity.

Gorgeous crust on that ham, Cliff! Was it a simple spiral from Costco, or something from a butcher?

Great cook!

Just a spiral from Safeway Ken. I picked up two when they were on sale for $.99/lb. at Safeway.

Cliff, you really nailed that ham right out of the ball park, It all looks absolutely GUUD!
Happy New Year!

Back