Christmas Day roast

LMichaels

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Well, the debate about Christmas Day dinner was decided. We had been thinking perhaps to have something a little different a more traditional Italian Sunday dinner type. Big bowl of homemade fettuccine with a bolognese style ragu followed by roasted chickens (most likely done on the Genesis rotisserie).
But, decision was made to do standing rib roast instead no fettuccine. Now comes my debate. Believe it or not in all my years I have never done a bone in roast on my rotisserie. I have done boneless with great success but never bone in. I have concerns bones will not clear if a large bone in roast is mounted on the spit. Anyone done one bone in? Did it clear?
Otherwise I may simply do it stationary and indirect on either the Genesis or the Wolf and skip the spinner.

I generally do them basic indirect on the kettle, wonderful results! I did spin one a while ago and it was good I don’t know if it was “better” but. There was a bit more cleanup with the spit and forks, etc. not a big deal but, I really didn’t see much of a benefit.

The only ones I have ever spun were boneless. This year thanks to what promises to be nice weather I will be doing the holiday roast outdoors and the thought of spinning it came to mind. Hard to believe in all my years in front of a grill I never spun or attempted to spin one with the bones. Weird right? Maybe I will just do an indirect and leave it at that

I have done a 5 bone on my sidewinder with no issues. Last year I did a 7 bone on the kettle rotisserie.
This year I will be doing another 7 bone on the pellet grill. Char-Hickory w/ some Cherry. I will be
finishing w/ a nice sear via the Harbor Freight weedburner/flame thrower. I will try to remember to
take a pic or vid and post afterwards.

I could get all wonky and do a deep fried but nah I just love that BBQ flavor way too much. I am worried about the bones not clearing the middle burner or the lid

I could get all wonky and do a deep fried but nah I just love that BBQ flavor way too much. I am worried about the bones not clearing the middle burner or the lid

Deep fry a ham, roast the standing rib roast! Spin or don’t it will eat so well either way! Seriously, try deep frying a ham sometime, they are amazing!

May do that. Maybe Easter. I saw someone deep fry a prime rib one day out fishing in Madison WI. We were stopping for lunch at the Green Lantern on the Madison Chain and some people who lived next door were just pulling one out of the fryer. I have to admit it looked incredible

I am just going to do a boring bone in Ham indirect. A little smoke and little glaze probably. Nothing fancy, nothing hard.

Christmas Eve is my older son’s birthday. He is not into tradition and has ordered up steak:)! I think last year I posted one of my first runs with my custom Skyline doing the same thing. Maybe he IS into tradition!

COi0TQU.jpg

RZXf0n0.jpg

DUhDWEe.jpg

Last edited:
Christmas Eve home made Shrimp Fettuccine cooked by myself give the wife a break. On Christmas day Costco ham warmed up in the oven and rib eyes on the Silver C.

My daughter and her husband rented a house just moved in this week so the 1000 is going home with them on Christmas Day.

Happy Holidays to all.

OK menu is all set and the guest of honor has been bought. First course fresh homemade fettuccine with marinara, second I was at Sam's yesterday. They were running a special on Prime Rib (sadly boneless only) for $13.98 lb (only $3 more per lb than Choice so I sprung for prime). I needed a 10-11lb roast and the cutter made one special for me. It is resting comfortably on the lower shelf of my basement fridge. Cool thing is I paid less for a boneless Prime roast than a bone in Choice from Costco.
On Christmas day it will meet it's fate on my Genesis rotisserie low and slow with some cherry smoke and my special "paste type" rub. It will be brought to 120 deg and brought in to rest under a tent for about an hour while first course is served. Grill will be brought back up to about 400 to 450 using outside burners at full (near full speed) for a nice crust then devoured by my 13 hungry guests. To guard against heat transfer through the rod and over cooking the center I will wrap the exposed ends of the rod with foil to dissipate heat so the meat heats only from the outside in. It avoids the brownish grey "bullet hole" effect from the spit rod on those longer cooks.
The big challenge is making and storing homemade pasta for 14 people so I am not rolling/cutting on day of

Last edited:
I am cutting this pretty close my friend. I may get complaints from the peanut gallery of not enough :D and for you younguns that don't know the peanut gallery just google it for the rest of us..............................."Hey Kids What Time Is It?".........................

I used to love that show. I had very eclectic tastes as a child in entertainment. I loved the Amos & Andy show, but then I also loved the Mahalia Jackson Show, the Liberace Show, my mom and I used to love watching Your Show of Shows and so many more. Though my mom told me later as an adult she could never understand my love of Mahalia Jackson show but even to this day I love that wonderful gospel music.

Sounds like you are going to have a full house and a great dinner. Hope it all goes well for you and your family.

Thanks! Marinara is on the stove as I type. Little guy and I are going to get the KitchenAid Commercial fired up and pasta making will begin along with prepping calamari for tomorrow

The guest of honor. One thing I am happy about is they gave me a first cut roast rather than an end cut. I just scored it and salted it and it is now chilling out in the fridge
Je0T16Y.jpg

9wjpJ1B.jpg

EkVhVqa.jpg

mwJfqZX.jpg

That's a good looking piece of meat!

I just found out I will have the honors of cooking our Christmas Day dinner. Cooking a Prime Rib on the Performer. Olive oil, salt and pepper....and lots of beers :)
Indirect heat using minion method, keep heat around 250 and cook until internals get to 130....

Just praying that it doesn't rain on Christmas

Dang, that ain't just any roast, that is a Ribeye roast. That has to be a $50 plus hunk of cow flesh right there.

Back