Christmas Day roast

Dang, that ain't just any roast, that is a Ribeye roast. That has to be a $50 plus hunk of cow flesh right there.

Just under $150! It was marked down to $13.98 lb. I was at Costco day before and they were charging that for Choice with bone in. While I would have loved a bone in roast (gnawing on the bones is my fav) this was too good a deal to pass. You can tell the difference on prime meat as well in the fat. It melts just from your hand's heat unlike on some it's hard as a rock. So I scored that bad boy on the top. Rubbed it down with Kosher salt and it's resting now. I will definitely be putting that new thermo to the test Wed as well

Ah, the good old days. I remember splurging on my first 7 bone about 25 years ago,
and it was right around $50. I remember my folks buying a 1/4 side of beef for that when
I was still a tax write off.

This years was $165. DOH!

wEVVWKgh.jpg

Yep and now the list keeps growing. When I first volunteered my home and to do this it was only supposed to be 11 people total. Then daughter asks can her friends from Puerto Rico come since they have no one here. Sure I says. Then other daughter asks about her mother in law. Sure I say. Now maybe youngest daughter's friend's grandpa who just lost his wife and it seems none of his own family want to spend Christmas with their grandpa (how rude BTW) so she's extending an invite to him.
So last night I explained to my wife I am going to have to put all the food in wicker baskets and make like Jesus to feed the masses :D

Yah, well, when you are cooking a Prime rib roast, this is what happens Larry. I am tempted to drop my ham on the grill and tell me wife it will be done in two hours and then drive down to Rockford.

Well I can promise you a cold beer, a nice cocktail and a warm welcome. As for a slice of beef...........................well you're gonna have a battle :D

Yah, I probably couldn't make it back home in time without my family noticing any ways. ;) It does sound like you don't have to worry about any left overs with the crowd you will be feeding.

Guys, for those of you who did a big fat juicy $150 Rib Roast this year, how many did it on a grill? Or did you all do it in the oven?

I just pulled mine 15 min ago from it's first stage of low/slow ~280-300. With a little cherry smoke and nothing more seasoning wise than salt and pepper. It is now resting under foil after being pulled at 120-125 in the center. I have the outer burners on the grill cranked to medium and am waiting for it to stabilize in the 425 to 450 range. As we clean up the pasta course it will go back on the give a nice sear for about 10 min to crisp up the outer fat cap and give a nice crust. I will report back and will try to remember photos

Actually, one reason that I shy away from doing a Rib roast is that my wife just doesn't care for the texture of Prime Rib. She would much rather have a regular grilled Ribeye. Could a guy simply cut a slab off the roast and do a quick high heat sear on both sides of it on the grill to make it more like a regular grilled steak?

I just pulled mine 15 min ago from it's first stage of low/slow ~280-300. With a little cherry smoke and nothing more seasoning wise than salt and pepper. It is now resting under foil after being pulled at 120-125 in the center. I have the outer burners on the grill cranked to medium and am waiting for it to stabilize in the 425 to 450 range. As we clean up the pasta course it will go back on the give a nice sear for about 10 min to crisp up the outer fat cap and give a nice crust. I will report back and will try to remember photos

You let aluminum touch your food!! Sorry Larry, I couldn't resist. Merry Christmas.

I'll stop poking the bear and sit in the corner now.

Jason, that one is good for a full hour in the corner. And if you don't keep your nose against the wall, I will have to send you out back behind the shed to cut a willow switch.

Bruce, been there done that. Except it was bamboo. As a kid I thought I was being smart when I picked a really slim one. I can tell you that that little switch stung like a @#$¥÷×%£~

Actually, one reason that I shy away from doing a Rib roast is that my wife just doesn't care for the texture of Prime Rib. She would much rather have a regular grilled Ribeye. Could a guy simply cut a slab off the roast and do a quick high heat sear on both sides of it on the grill to make it more like a regular grilled steak?

I don’t see any reason why not. Try it!

I can't speak to the results but I acquired a rib roast and that's exactly what I'll be doing soon because several of my family members will eat it only if it's near well done. I think I recall seeing a Raichlen episode where he did this. If it's horrible, we'll order pizza.

Well for the record I did not "cook" the roast in foil and honestly only "tented" it. So the answer is no not really. Also it was not stored in foil either. The roast sat in a roasting pan and I did not pull the skewer either. Choosing instead to leave the skewer in. So it sat under the rent for about an hour and 15 min. At which time I had the grill stabilized at 425 deg. It went back in for 10 min and we got a beautiful crust and cracklin top, beautiful pink and rosy interior, the carving knife literally fell through the roast. It was a beautiful thing. The only "bad" thing I could say happened was (well 2) is I did not take photos of finished product, and 2 just toward the last 2 or 3 min the dripping fat fell hitting the very hot vaporizer bars and began catching fire dripping the fire into the drip tray and ignited that. Had it happened earlier we would have lost the roast but I had it on a timer and caught it in time so the external appearance was not as "perfect" as I would have liked but thankfully it did not ruin the flavor of the roast or texture.
Now another thing I was happy with. The performance of that Thermapen. I was able to double check the "oven" temp of the grill by putting the probe in one of the little openings on the sides of the grill. I also found the original thermometer on the grill was incredibly accurate and simply came to rely on it. It was also fast and accurate when I was temping the meat. Giving me fast accurate readings. I also discovered some hidden features. The unit is magnetic with no external magnets. So it will stay on the side of your fridge. It also has an auto shutoff feature and as soon as you pick it up bang back on. Honestly for the $24.99 I am liking it better and better!
N0BIiLe.jpg

You will also notice how I wrapped the skewer rod with foil. This prevented the rod from bringing excess heat into the center of the roast so I avoided the gray/brown bullseye where the skewer went through. Worked like a champ

Back