Chorizo Oaxaca

Tony R

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Let's start from the beggining.....

On my my mothers birthday 2-13 we started talking about cooking and meals we both make. Then she proceeded to tell me that my favorite childhood meal was chorizo and eggs. I told my mom I wish I could get chorizo from Mexico.

my grandmother tells me...I can get you some from Oaxaca. Turns out that her friend goes Tijuana, Mexico and gets special orders stuff from over there then they bring it across the border. Nobody is going to hassle a car full of grandmas. :D

I remember growing up chorizo and eggs would be served to me for dinner with a bowl of soup. Humble beginnings. In our Mexican culture is common to do this since eggs are cheap. Not sure how many Mexicans are here in Tvwbb ( probably 3 ) that can relate to how we were raised...but we must remain humble and teach our kids it's ok to keep it simple sometimes.

So that's what I made today.....

Here's what it looked like...I got this yesterday. Vacuum sealed and froze it.

06D63DD8-3487-44B5-8122-406B80B6BDFF.jpg

For this cook I used 5 pieces.

Got the smokey joe working tonight

C1D070EC-C9F3-49B0-A09C-377326D19E4A.jpg

C5793BEA-A3A7-4474-8D9B-5581AD18ADF1.jpg

984985DE-D920-4F3D-9F05-5D89E9CC3FDB.jpg

Plated just like I remember....except we had plastic bowls and cups.

2D6CA0AB-FF78-476F-B45D-8217ACF51032.jpg

This chorizo was delicious. Not a lot of fat and a little spice.

Thanks for stopping by And putting up with my little stories.

-Tony

Last edited:
Awesome post, Tony! And a great story! I love chorizo and eggs. Yours looks perfect! The soup looks great too. A perfect meal! Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Tony; that's a great cook! My wife and I went to Oaxaca two years ago over Dia de Muertos and had a great time enjoying the festivities, food and drink. The moles we had were incredible and I remember eating quite a bit of chorizo there as well. We did not go to the coastal area, but stayed in the city of Oaxaca and traveled around that area. Beautiful city and country.

Looks good. Can't imagine what authentic chorizo tastes like compared to the stuff I can get in the grocery store around here.

Looks great! I have grilled some of those a few times...But never let em out of the casing. Killer cook mate!

Tony the best dishes in the world come from humble beginings, thats a tsty plate bud.

Tony that looks amazing. I grew up with 3 brothers and we were all very enthusiastic eaters. My mom n dad would shop for whatever was on sale or real cheap so they could make a ton of it. My dad loves to cook and he always said that food doesn't have to be expensive to be good. It's just got to be cooked right.

Man , I would love to be able to get some chorizo like that. I bet that is killer. ....and tell all the stories you want , brother. They are very interesting.

Que saboroso!!! Se parece El Chorizo que tenia cuando estaba viviendo en Veracruz!! Es lo mejor!
Looks awesome...Reminds me of the time I spent in Veracruz!

9 out of 10 times simple is the best. I have to say that plate looks outstanding, but you sir could take the bumper off a Volkswagen and make a gourmet meal out of it.

Love the stories, man! We're all here to share our food stories. You just share some of the best!

Back