Chopzilla Saturday

Jose Suro

TVWBB All-Star
Hi all,

Haven’t been on the forum for a while. My Mother passed away last Friday June 20th- she was 87. We will miss her terribly. It was a very sad, emotional and busy time during the vigil and funeral. I haven't used the grill in over two weeks - just didn't feel like cooking...

Today my wife came home with some huge, beautiful pork chops so I finally fired up the Performer. We did a dark, thick, mushroom, wine and onion sauce for the chops and some potatoes and green beans for the sides.

Pork chops brining in the garage refrigerator for a couple of hours.
i-w4GHwBV-XL.jpg

Cooked the sauce on my new Lodge steel (not cast iron) skillet. The skillet was a Father's day present from my daughters. Works really well. This is the sauce base below
i-x3HQKzg-L.jpg

i-ZWD4pbj-L.jpg

Potatoes ready to cook in the CI Skillet. While down for the funeral my brother gave me a really nice knife as a gift - the blade is made with a 32 layer "Damascus" stainless cap over a blue steel core edge.
i-5VjMQBv-L.jpg

i-Wcwn97r-L.jpg

We smoked the thick chops for 20-minutes using hickory, turning them over once. After that we placed the chops directly over the fire and flipped then every minute until the thermometer registered 150 degrees.
i-sZCD3Mh-L.jpg

And finally, plated.
i-JmbqrS7-L.jpg

Incredible chops. great flavor, very juicy and moist. Sauce turned out great as well.

All the best,

Jose

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss Jose...I can't even imagine...

the chops look great...sometimes you just need to do something normal to get back into your daily groove again after something traumatic

So sorry about your mom. She lived to a good age; although, it's never easy losing a mom. I lost mine too. Peace, love, and joyous fond memories of your mother to you and your family.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Keep your mom in your spirit, your cooking and keep smiling! It the best gift anyone can give to another.

Jose;
Sorry for your loss. I lost my mom (age 94) several years ago and I still miss her greatly...

The chops and sides look wonderful. I have been flipping my pork, also, of late. I LOVE the results! It's a bit counter to what we have been taught, but you can't argue with the results...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Sorry for your loss Jose. Been through it with my Mom and Dad. It's not easy. Great looking chops. I like that knife too.

Our sincere condolences to you and your family Jose.
I know what you're going through and it is very tough...
I believe your Mother is in a Greater Place right now.
Hang in there buddy!

Sorry to hear about you mom, its never easy. Jose you did a great job on the chops keep up the great cooks.

Sorry about your mom , man. It's always a tough thing to lose a parent.
Your cook looks wonderful and that knife is very cool. Your brother must like you. :D

I didn't know how much I loved my mother & dad until they passed away. Time helps a little.
Thanks for sharing.Looks great.

Thank you all for the very kind words. In the short time I have been a member here I have come to realize that this forum is a very special and rare community on the net. You guys are the best.

Thanks again,

Jose

Jose,

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, and I hope her soul has found peace. I can definitely feel empathy for your difficult situation, having lost my own mother just a few years ago at age 67.

I hope your cooking brings you some respite from the sorrow. The pork chops, sauce, and sides all look excellent. Love that damascus santoku your brother gifted you. Blue steel has freakish edge retention and sharpens up beautifully.

Sorry to hear about your mom Jose. What better way is there to remember her than to care for her family? I am glad you are feeling up to grilling again. Great job on those chops - and that sauce looks awesome...

Regards,

John

Back