Chicken Halves

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I picked up a little 4 lb. whole chicken a couple of weeks ago. Decided to thaw it out and do some hot and fast chicken to top off a very sunny, warm day. Used Chris's recipe over on the Bullet as it is indeed a winner. Sided it up with some grilled corn, our first of the season and some white Basmati rice.

Rubbed the halves down with a rub I bought up in Oregon, Rogue Valley BBQ rub. It's made in Medford Oregon.

DSC_3074 (Large).JPG

Got it on the 18" WSM, top rack no water pan.

DSC_3076 (Large).JPG

After 30 minutes flipped them over.

DSC_3079 (Large).JPG

50 minutes and just about done.

DSC_3084 (Large).JPG

Sauced and let it roll another 5-7 minutes.

DSC_3085 (Large).JPG

Got the corn grilled up.

DSC_3089 (Large).JPG
Applied some more sauce at the end of the cook, then plated it up.

DSC_3093 (Large).JPG

This recipe is fun and a great way to do chicken. I've done it many times now, experimenting with different rubs and sauces and it gets better each time. The only thing I might do differently is to sauce it only once with at least five minutes left in the smoker, giving the sauce time to set. Well, that's it for now. Thanks for looking everyone.

That chicken looks amazing. I haven't done a hot and fast chicken on the WSM yet. Do you think the flavor profile would be different than an indirect/sear method on a kettle grill? I'll be doing this real soon.

Great looking clucker, Cliff! I haven't done that recipe before, may need to give it a whirl! Thanks for sharing!

R

Looks really good Cliff, nice paring with the sides. Your cook reminded me I haven't done that cook on the WSM in a long time. I'll put that on our menu because it's really is good.

Do you think the flavor profile would be different than an indirect/sear method on a kettle grill?

Probably not Bill. This is just a fun way to do the chicken on your smoker using much higher heat, yet keeping a greater distance between the charcoal to the grate and achieving the elusive crispy skin.

Thank you all for the nice comments!!

Holy Crap Morgan!! Great "hearing" from you. Miss seeing you around. I think about you every time I make your beer sticks. Did 20 lbs. worth this past Christmas. Don't be a stranger.
Thanks buddy doing a small batch as we speak! Take care

Hard to beat a good bird bro. Looks guud. Love the dark color.

Thanks Russ. I used a homemade sauce that had quite a lot of sugar. If I sauce at all next time I'll probably look elsewhere. I liked the color and skin texture much better before I applied the sauce.

Wow, the color on that bird is just plain beautiful, looks terrific. And the corn looks great too, nice char, can’t beat that !!!

Back