Chicken enchilada casserole

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Picked a rainy windy day last week to smoke a chicken on the 14.5 WSM. Plan was to shred the whole bird to make enchiladas. Then I changed my mind and made enchilada casserole.

Sautéed onion, bell pepper, hatch green Chile. Added the shredded chicken to that and two packets of taco seasoning and water. Simmered until the sauce reduced.
I like lots of enchilada sauce and I normally make my own but we’re not making unnecessary trips to the store and I didn’t have all the ingredients. I did have two cans of premise enchilada sauce so I used those.
To start pour enough sauce to coat bottom of casserole dish. Then a layer or tortillas. I used corn and it takes 6 to cover the bottom of the dish. Brush top of tortillas with more sauce. Add layer of meat mixture to cover. Add grated cheese. I used cheddar and mozzarella as that’s what we had on hand. Add sliced olives and thawed frozen corn. Add another layer of tortillas and sauce repeat the layers until meat mixture is gone. Top last layer w sauce, cheese, olives and if you like fresh or pickled jalapeños.
Cover with foil. Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.

4D6ADDA1-FECC-4C4B-A386-6EFD487EB3A9.jpeg
81A955CD-6B9A-4010-8969-7874FD19E07F.jpeg
6613F0D0-AAC8-4CE8-AEF4-1BE576117A7E.jpeg
96DAE749-C6D9-431A-8BB0-96064C99955E.jpeg
67FD37C3-FC82-43CB-B3C4-CF2D00775DC6.jpeg4BBEF016-6F56-4FB6-8D57-3D1191AB60BE.jpeg

That looks really good. I am doing another whole Chicken to make Quesadillas tomorrow, but I am really thinking I am going to make a tray of enchiladas also. Those pictures made me want to do that even more.

That looks really good. I am doing another whole Chicken to make Quesadillas tomorrow, but I am really thinking I am going to make a tray of enchiladas also. Those pictures made me want to do that even more.

Thank you! This has always been a favorite of ours.

Looks delicious, Case! ....and you found the perfect sized bird to fill that top grate on your 14"! :)

r

Damn that looks tasty Case. Funny how we used to take that 5 minute run to the store to pick up a forgotten ingredient for granted. I’ve skipped or improvised too, and probably will for a long time. Anyway, I’ll take a plate!

Damn that looks tasty Case. Funny how we used to take that 5 minute run to the store to pick up a forgotten ingredient for granted. I’ve skipped or improvised too, and probably will for a long time. Anyway, I’ll take a plate!

Thanks Cliff.
We are down to shopping twice a month. Biggest change for us was eating out. Can’t believe how much money we are saving. That’s been the best lesson to this whole thing.

Looks good.

Reminds me of the "Mexican casserole" my mother often made when we were kids. I don't think you could buy a tortilla within 100 miles of us back then, so she used Doritos. And even though tortillas are everywhere now, she still turns to the bag of corn chips to make it.

Looks awesome. You had me until the green peppers, I just can't do green peppers. Will copy with Red, Yellow or Orange peppers

That looks really good,love the color on the chicken now i'm going to have to make some splatchcock chicken it has been a few years.

Thanks Cliff.
We are down to shopping twice a month. Biggest change for us was eating out. Can’t believe how much money we are saving. That’s been the best lesson to this whole thing.
I hear you. No eating out. Not even work lunches. No weekly gas fill ups. On two or three cars. Substituting has become the norm, de rigeur.
I still wonder if pantries will make a comeback. How many people have a large pantry now. How many people will still hoard bread years from now.

Last edited:
Looks awesome. You had me until the green peppers, I just can't do green peppers. Will copy with Red, Yellow or Orange peppers
thank you!

No green bell peppers were harmed in the making of this casserole! The bell pepper was red. The green peppers on top are fresh jalapeño and I used hatch green chilies in the chicken mixture.

I hear you. No eating out. Not even work lunches. No weekly gas fill ups. On two or three cars. Substituting has become the norm, de rigeur.
I still wonder if pantries will make a comeback. How many people have a large pantry now. How many people will still hoard bread years from now.
Our pantry has always been full and still is. When I lived in the Oregon coast we’d loose power for a week at a time so having pantry staples was a must. It stuck with me and we always have a good supply of items.
The only item that really became a pinch was flour because I usually buy it as I need it so it’s as fresh as possible. We’re well stocked now and from here on out I’ll keep more in hand.

Back