Charcoal recommendations??

For briquettes, B&B is the way to go imo.
I've noticed that B&B is becoming very rare up here in NH/VT. My local ACE Hardware doesn't carry the briquettes anymore (or at least for now) and they don't know when it's returning. My wife gave me 3 bags of FOGO lump for Father's Day, so I'm going to be into that very soon.

There is a store called Runnings near me that will have the smaller bags of B&B, but that can be hit or miss.

Anyone know if B&B is having supply line problems?

You can do an online order at Ace for B&B and they will ship it to the store. I've done that in the past when my store is out. I've also found that the price varies by Ace location. I've found that the price varies by $1-$2 depending on the store. I got the charlogs for $19 at one store but they were $21 at another. Same applies to the briquettes. Academy Spots is even cheaper.

I'm new to smoking but have been cooking on a charcoal kettle for many years. We certainly don't have anywhere near the selection of charcoal in Canada as in the United States. I've tried a few different things when they're available, but always go back to Kingsford original, I know what I'm getting and I know how long and hot it will burn. For lump I use Royal Oak, but again I'm limited to what I can get up here.

I’ve been on a KPro binge this season, KBB has not been on any kind of decent deal and a dbl. 18 package is $16.49 on sale at Costco, lower ash and very nice burn time in the WS. Good kettle fuel as well. I’ll need to do some restocking when we get back from the lake. I’m good with somewhere around 200# “in stock”.

I used to just use KPro in my Performer, but have been using it in my WSM this year. I feel like I'm getting more stable temps, more consistently and for longer in the WSM with the KPro. The low ash is a nice bonus.

This topic is very timely for me!

I plan to smoke a 7# brisket flat tomorrow (first time; I've only ever done whole—15# plus—briskets before). Unfortunately, the only experience I have with low and slow utilizes Original Kingsford briquettes, mostly using the Minion method and controlling the temp using only the vents on my 18-1/5” WSM. I say “unfortunately” because I am currently out of them, and have no time to get more before the cook. I haven't used anything else because I know what to expect from it, and that I can keep cooker at a fairly constant temp under 300 degrees. Thus my question.

I have some Embers made by Royal Oak briquettes (which I don't like for numerous reasons), and a 40# bag of Lazzari mesquite lump charcoal that I've never used; it was given to me several years ago and I recently found it during a move. The lump charcoal review site linked to in reply #6 above rates the Lazzari “above average” but also says it is below average in burn time, and that it burns hotter than non-mesquite lump products in cookers without a temp control kit. Here's some photos of the product:

lump 1.jpg

lump 2.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone has had good results using the Lazzari or similar mesquite lump, and how easy it is to maintain consistent temps under 300, preferably in the 250-275 range, using just the vents to control temps. I was thinking of filling the charcoal ring with the lump and tossing in some lit briquettes to get it going, sort of like the Minion method. Probably add some smoke wood, too.

Suggestions and/or feedback is most welcome!

Mesquite has a very strong flavor so for a long cook it might be too much but to each his own. Some people swear by mesquite and that's all they use.

Mesquite has a very strong flavor so for a long cook it might be too much but to each his own. Some people swear by mesquite and that's all they use.
Good point, John. But I'm less concerned about that than how it performs as described above. I can always foil it halfway through the cook to prevent over-smokiness.

I get good results using Kingsford Blue and RO Lump. I don't buy lump unless the bags are pristine and almost always find reasonably sized chunks. I've also tried more expensive brands of both lump and briquets but haven't found anything to justify the price difference. For me, consistency is king.

I've noticed that B&B is becoming very rare up here in NH/VT. My local ACE Hardware doesn't carry the briquettes anymore (or at least for now) and they don't know when it's returning. My wife gave me 3 bags of FOGO lump for Father's Day, so I'm going to be into that very soon.

There is a store called Runnings near me that will have the smaller bags of B&B, but that can be hit or miss.

Anyone know if B&B is having supply line problems?
B&B at Academy is plentiful here in the south. At $8.99 for a 17.6lb bag, lumps, bumps, ridges and grooves don’t matter at all whatsoever compared to how easy the B&B briquettes light and burn. They’re consistent and larger than most standard mill stuff and very controllable with long burn times. Now the negative, I only have one pallet load. Lump, I got lump, lump smhump. I don’t find it all that great. Maybe I need more convincing, practice or yelling at. I just don’t get it big Dan?

Okay, after reading the comments from all the mesquite haters on this thread https://tvwbb.com/threads/wood-selection-for-brisket-any-ideas.88826/ maybe I'll just stick with the crappy Embers briquettes and use some of my oak and apple smoke wood. I did read somewhere though that mesquite charcoal doesn't impart as strong a flavor as wood. Anyone have this experience?
I know @Bruno used the Lazzari lump as he went to the factory here.
But then a little later the shared that it was too strong for him.
Post in thread 'It's baaack. K-Pro on sale @ Costco.' https://tvwbb.com/threads/its-baaack-k-pro-on-sale-costco.90348/post-1025266
Bruno can you share any more of your experience?

I often cook with lazzari mesquite. I like it for hot and fast cooks. Chicken, fish, I've cooked beef with it.

It can be a strong flavor if it smokes too long.

I keep a bag on hand all the time.

20220624_184630.jpg

I know @Bruno used the Lazzari lump as he went to the factory here.
But then a little later the shared that it was too strong for him.
Post in thread 'It's baaack. K-Pro on sale @ Costco.' https://tvwbb.com/threads/its-baaack-k-pro-on-sale-costco.90348/post-1025266
Bruno can you share any more of your experience?
Haha nothing prolific from me, I have really settled on the K-pro and I’ll throw in a 1/4 chimney of Lazzari’s if I’m feeling adventurous.
I do need to get back out to Lazzari’s though, they had a different lump charcoal I’d like to try. I think it was oak but I’m not 100% on that.1395D516-2E04-47AC-816D-6ADF69640056.jpeg

Last edited:
Haha nothing prolific from me, I have really settled on the K-pro and I’ll throw in a 1/4 chimney of Lazzari’s if I’m feeling adventurous.
I do need to get back out to Lazzari’s though, they had a different lump charcoal I’d like to try. I think it was oak but I’m not 100% on that.View attachment 53786
I have never seen that one but would like to try it.

Back