Charcoal grill gift ideas for father's day

Mike_S

TVWBB Member
I'm thinking of getting my dad a Smokey Joe for father's day. Him and my mom are empty nesters now (so a kettle would be overkill) and he enjoys cooking steak over charcoal. Currently, he is somehow using an old Char Broil water smoker as a charcoal grill. I was wondering if a Smokey Joe would be good for them. Is the Smokey Joe large enough to cook 2 ribeyes at once? Is it big enough to have both direct and indirect heat? Or am I better off getting a Jumbo Joe to be safe?

TIA

I have both and would not get the 14" for them at all.....100% not big enough.
It will hold 2 rib steaks but no extra room and its so small its so hot it would be a nightmare to consistently cook the same steak.
The JJ is 18 and at that point you can do indirect and it actually heats, cools and changes temperature a lot faster than the 22" kettle.
The difference I noticed right away....my JJ is fairly new, only 4 cooks so far.
The difference here in Canada is only $30 so if you can afford a bit extra it will be so much more usable.
My 14' Joe now only acts as a chimney starter..........I take it camping with the 18 just in case but I haven't cooked on it in more than 7 months.

Exactly what Darryl said.
Extra room for indirect cooking is important to me and the Jumbo Joe has it, with plenty of room for a couple ribeyes.
With the locking lid, it's easy to move out of the way while the coals are cooling down.

Granted, the Smokey Joe does have more cute colors to choose from - but maybe your Dad won't care so
much about that...? :)

Agree with Darryl I have a SJ that I haven't used it two or three years and there's just the two of us. It just isn't big enough. I had a JJ and sold when down sizing, big mistake. Really the JJ doesn't take up that much room over the SJ and it's much easier to do a two zone fire.

Loved my Jumbo Joe! Was great to bring as there's a locking mechanism to keep the lid on and you can put your charcoal/tongs/spatula inside.
It's 18.5" so there are more accessories (different grate options) and perfect for 2.

JJ all day. I use this grill exclusively for grilling. (Charcoal basket essential).
The SJ is gathering dust, and the 22 only gets broken out at large gatherings.

Hmm. Get a nice 26 on a color and if he loves it great. If not....

Maybe he would like a nice barrel charcoal grill but... if space is an issue then the jumbo joe might be the best

One thing you can always bank-on on this site. Bigger always wins. No matter what choice you ask about, the answer is the bigger one of course. Duh. ;-) Then you will get the obligatory even bigger suggestion as Tony though in.

Back