Charcoal Chimney

Alan F

TVWBB Pro
What do you put under your charcoal chimney to protect the ground?

I used a paver for years. It broke, thought I'd try a clay saucer and it cracked from the heat on the first use. It's a shame it cracked- I liked how light it was and the ashes remained in the dish. Next I'm thinking of cheap cast iron.

What say you?

I have a paver waiting for my midnight cook. If yours lasted for years, seems like you got a good ROI. :) I don't know if the cast iron would transfer too much heat or not.

I light my chimney right in the grill (whether I am working with the grill or with the WSM's). After I dump it, I sit it in an aluminum pan from the thrift store until it is cool enough to put back inside. The pan sits on my patio and keeps me from blackening the patio stones.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I use a paver.
Lately though, using the kettle I light directly in the Weber sheet metal baskets....good routine.

Also, whether chimney or baskets, I've been using rubbing alcohol 70% for my lighter fluid....works well.
No newspaper smoke and fly ash.
$2.00 for a quart at Walton's Market.

I picked up one of the really cheap picnic grills about $5 (the ones with removable legs). It helps to capture the ashes from the paper on windy days

Another vote for in the kettle on the charcoal grate. I don't do newspaper so no worries on fly away ash.

Tim

I use some basic bricks. I have done it right in the kettle on the bottom grate but my grill is nearer to the house and I don't like the smell which seems to creep inside.

I use the stainless weigh pan from an old counting scale.
It is a little warped and black in the center but has worked well for years.
The best part is that the edges surprisingly don't get too hot so I can pick it up to dump the stray crumbs of lump that fall out of the chimney.

I put 3 pavers under my chimney but now that I uset the Weber fire starter blocks and a 20 oz aluminum pepsi can (when chimney is inverted for lighting 8 briquettes) - 12 oz pepsi can when chimney is set normally and lighting more than 10 briquettes (cold weather smokes), I could probably do away with the pavers but it is added insurance that I don't char the patio cement.

Dave

Back