Char Q

Bruce, I did a 12 lb. packer brisket on the CharQ and the cook went well. I did have to use a wood chunk under the flat and I pinned the point toward the flat to make the brisket fit on the trivet/foil shield, since I started the charcoal snake on the right side.

I think I ran the bottom vent at 1/8" and the top vent open a little more than half open, if I remember correctly. I didn't mess with the vents during the entire cook.

View attachment 43269
That is a really impressive cook and proof that the fuse/snake method is a really great option for low and slow cooks. I've been using a snake/fuse on my summit E6 and it's perfect.

The one piece grates of the first gen Q100 or Q140 also fit as a charcoal grate inside the CharQ. But they are hard to find as well since they were replaced by two piece grates at some point.

That is great to know. Some of those early one piece grates for the Q140 were stainless steel solid rod grates. They would last a LOOONG time as a coal grate in the CharQ.

I can't speak for others, but for me I have found the CharQ to be my favorite charcoal grill - for high heat searing. That's what it is made for!

The small capacity of charcoal would put a serious crimp on any longer cooks. It is true, to me at least, that the bottom vent isn't the most generous air supply. As long as you use quality charcoal that does well with making the heat, it works fine. I didn't do well with Weber charcoal (which I found to be perfect for kettles), but Kingsford Professional, B&B, Royal Oak Natural, and an odd newcomer for me - Frontier South American charcoal I bought at Menards - have all worked fine.

I love GrillGrates, but on my CharQ I guess I have never felt a need for them since I like the cast iron so well.

View attachment 43119
Sorry for re-using this picture. I need to take some new CharQ pics! This one does highlight how well the CharQ cast iron works.

I want a Char Q so badly that I've put a lot of thought into trying to convert a Q gasser into one. But, I always get hung up on the idea of trying to get holes in the lid top for the vent. The Gas Qs have the open lips on the sides of the lid as opposed to the top vent like the CharQ. The fact that you say an actual CharQ is really just a searing machine actually makes me think a converted Gas Q might work if I got a charcoal tray to use.

I don't see any easy mods to turn a regular Q grill into a CharQ. You would need a vent on the top and bottom. And, like you said, the Q grills have the openings on both ends of the lid.

They pop up occassionally, so I would just wait and keep an eye out and get a real one if I were you.

I don't see any easy mods to turn a regular Q grill into a CharQ. You would need a vent on the top and bottom. And, like you said, the Q grills have the openings on both ends of the lid.

They pop up occassionally, so I would just wait and keep an eye out and get a real one if I were you.
I search FB and CL everyday and have never even seen one for sale. I search for a CharQ and the Weber table for the portable grills. Someday

I rehabbed one a couple years ago and I could have picked one up this fall. Both were under $50 and in good shape. I am not in a huge metro area or BBQ area either.

I rehabbed one a couple years ago and I could have picked one up this fall. Both were under $50 and in good shape. I am not in a huge metro area or BBQ area either.
I mean, I have a Charcoal GA, 2 Smokey Joes, and a Jumbo Joe.... It's not that I'm lacking in mobile charcoal grilling options. lol. I'll just keep looking and jump on one when I can.

There you go. That is the strategy that works. I see too many people get too impatient and wind up over paying. But, if you can bide your time, it will happen.

The CharQ I rehabbed, I actually sold with one of those foldable portable stands for $220 to a guy from Indiana. He drove 2.5 hours to meet me in S. Wisconsin.

I think it wouldn't be that difficult to convert a gas Q to a char-Q. Buy a set of dampers for WSM and follow the directions in the forum and adding them. Cut a grate for charcoal. Screw in 2 strips of sheet metal to cover the open sides and you are basically done. I would do it but I really like my Charcoal Go-Anywhere.

I think it wouldn't be that difficult to convert a gas Q to a char-Q. Buy a set of dampers for WSM and follow the directions in the forum and adding them. Cut a grate for charcoal. Screw in 2 strips of sheet metal to cover the open sides and you are basically done. I would do it but I really like my Charcoal Go-Anywhere.
Exactly! There is no compelling reason to create one. A DIY CharQ is no better or worse than any other small coal burner. If you are after the coolness factor, that only comes from having an original.

The only thing is charcoal is hotter than gas. The CharQ may have some different materials. Now never seeing one in the flesh to compare I could not tell you for sure. But, IMO it would not be surprising if there are higher heat materials on the CharQ.

Exactly! There is no compelling reason to create one. A DIY CharQ is no better or worse than any other small coal burner. If you are after the coolness factor, that only comes from having an original.
Ed,
I won't say that the CharQ makes better food than, say, a Smokey Joe. I do think they are a much more enjoyable grill to cook on for what they do well - high heat fast grilling. The cast aluminum - in addition to being rust-free forever - radiates heat much more effectively than steel. Add a thick cast iron grate, and you have one really nice grilling machine. I would never give up mine - or use it in front of a Smokey Joe or some other smaller charcoal grill. (Well, maybe a REAL Hibachi! :cool: - but even these don't offer the ability to close in that charcoal flavor.)

The CharQ failed, I think, because the price didn't seem to make sense to people looking during its short run. I think I am not alone in being a huge fan of this orphaned Weber oldie but goody!

IMG_8033.jpeg

IMG_8036.jpeg
IMG_8037.jpeg

Now I just need to give up using this cool old grill for a while and do a first-class redo - maybe making it a more dramatic color.DCAE0C02-BEA5-42B7-8FAC-4A72EC69D958.jpeg

31793BE2-2060-464A-AF46-3C2B3D18215A.jpeg

29373424-788C-4216-A2CC-29A5087AD73A.jpeg

Last edited:
Yah, looking real good. And, if I were you Jon, I wouldn't rehab that for aesthetics. That is a work horse and they are not intended to look pretty. They just keep doing their job time after time. Spend your time on something a bit flashier.

Ed,
I won't say that the CharQ makes better food than, say, a Smokey Joe. I do think they are a much more enjoyable grill to cook on for what they do well - high heat fast grilling. The cast aluminum - in addition to being rust-free forever - radiates heat much more effectively than steel. Add a thick cast iron grate, and you have one really nice grilling machine. I would never give up mine - or use it in front of a Smokey Joe or some other smaller charcoal grill. (Well, maybe a REAL Hibachi! :cool: - but even these don't offer the ability to close in that charcoal flavor.)

The CharQ failed, I think, because the price didn't seem to make sense to people looking during its short run. I think I am not alone in being a huge fan of this orphaned Weber oldie but goody!

View attachment 44813

View attachment 44814
View attachment 44815

Now I just need to give up using this cool old grill for a while and do a first-class redo - maybe making it a more dramatic color.View attachment 44825

View attachment 44826

View attachment 44827
Very nice grill, Jon, very nice photography, and points well taken! I'm going to keep an eye out for a CharQ and if one crosses my path for a price I'm willing to pay, I just may buy one, just because of the rarity. It's something I think will hold or increase in value in the years ahead. But I think a set of GrillGrates is the great equalizer here, and a set those will improve the hot and fast grilling ability of just about any grill.

Jon, we have the same setup!

20220205_144335_resize.jpg

Rehab your CharQ if you want. We restore old cars (or Weber grills), because we want to make sure they do not deteriorate in a way that is catastrophic.

The degree of restoration is up to you: concours-quality where it's restored, but rarely used if at all; or daily driver, where it's functional, has several flaws, but still looks good and is used regularly.

You can even do a "rat-rod" restoration, where you clean up, then clear coat over the blemishes and use it as a "daily driver."

I have a Q100 that is now leaning toward a refresh, similar to your CharQ. It works and isn't going disintegrate overnight, so I put off its rehab all the time.

Last edited:
Jon is well versed in Weber grill rehabbing and quite good at it. However, He has several other competing entities for his time and expertise. He is also very good at putting off said rehabs. LOL

Back