Char Q

That looks SO sharp! You are making me feel bad for allowing my CharQ to continue to look terrible - pealing paint, faded trim. I never want to take it out of service, but maybe your stunning restore will motivate me. I have an off-the-wall idea of how I want to repaint mine.

Did you remove the vent and then replace the rivet with a bolt? It seems like that is the consensus plan of attack, and besides making painting the lid 10X easier allows you to polish up the vent without worry. I just kind of hate to cut-off the original rivet.

That looks SO sharp! You are making me feel bad for allowing my CharQ to continue to look terrible - pealing paint, faded trim. I never want to take it out of service, but maybe your stunning restore will motivate me. I have an off-the-wall idea of how I want to repaint mine.

Did you remove the vent and then replace the rivet with a bolt? It seems like that is the consensus plan of attack, and besides making painting the lid 10X easier allows you to polish up the vent without worry. I just kind of hate to cut-off the original rivet.
Yes I did remove and replace vent with stainless screw and bolt. This grill was brand new in box when I got her almost two yrs ago and I only cooked on it so far twice. Got it off craigslist for 140.00 including shipping.

Scott

Oh Oh, Grillgrates. Let the comments begin.

But seriously, how do you like the grill? Some people report that they are not that great as coal grills. You could have probably made some money flipping that grill.

I can't speak for others, but for me I have found the CharQ to be my favorite charcoal grill - for high heat searing. That's what it is made for!

The small capacity of charcoal would put a serious crimp on any longer cooks. It is true, to me at least, that the bottom vent isn't the most generous air supply. As long as you use quality charcoal that does well with making the heat, it works fine. I didn't do well with Weber charcoal (which I found to be perfect for kettles), but Kingsford Professional, B&B, Royal Oak Natural, and an odd newcomer for me - Frontier South American charcoal I bought at Menards - have all worked fine.

I love GrillGrates, but on my CharQ I guess I have never felt a need for them since I like the cast iron so well.

IMG_1072 (3).jpeg
Sorry for re-using this picture. I need to take some new CharQ pics! This one does highlight how well the CharQ cast iron works.

But seriously, how do you like the grill? Some people report that they are not that great as coal grills. You could have probably made some money flipping that grill.
I love it but have to many grills to use it often, but with the grillgrates I have got 650* before I let it come down to cook those chops!

Scott

1641927654275.png

I use this instead of stock charcoal pan so if I ever sell I can say I have stock pan never used. Also I purchased stainless grill grates for same reason with stock castiron grates.

Bruce, I did a 12 lb. packer brisket on the CharQ and the cook went well. I did have to use a wood chunk under the flat and I pinned the point toward the flat to make the brisket fit on the trivet/foil shield, since I started the charcoal snake on the right side.

I think I ran the bottom vent at 1/8" and the top vent open a little more than half open, if I remember correctly. I didn't mess with the vents during the entire cook.

CharQBrisket.png

Back