Cast iron skillet recommendations

I have been using my carbon steel pans more and more often in lieu of cast iron lately. My lodge carbon steel pan came from the factory with a better finish than my cast iron pans did, meaning it was a little less work to get the seasoning I wanted. Still love my cast iron though. It does what it does so well, so I just keep using it.
same here, though I do love cast iron alot....I like the fact that carbon steel reacts faster to heat changes and I find that once the coating builds up it cooks eggs the best....

My pan of choice is de buyer omelette pan, my cast iron is old old old, not sure who actually made it as it is not stamped however it was machined smooth like a griswold and usa made stamp on back

I know some people who have transformed lodge cast iron skillets to smooth by polishing them say do not polish them to a mirror like finish, the carbon build up will not stick well to it

none of my pans see soap, just really hot water immediately after use and then dried on a burner

Last edited:
I have a full matching set sizes 3-9 of Griswold skillets that are about 110 years old. Bought them on the famous online auction site for $165 as I remember, around 2001. Those skillets are my most regularly used and most cherished things that I own.

Frying, baking biscuits, pancakes and searing steaks on the stove and on the grill, just superb cookware. My two daughters will be fussing over them when I'm gone for sure.

Using on my performer, what size, brand, price range, etc.? What size do I need to cook what? Sorry if dumb questions, but I have never cooked on cast iron and dont know much about it. Just been checking out some recipes that look insanely awesome! wheres the best place to buy??? Do you ever use these on the wsm?
I love to play with cast Iron. I buy all the neglected ugly cast iron I can use at Goodwill when the price is right. I am not paying for CI at a donate store that rivals the cost of new Lodge cookware. Yard sales are a good place as well. Cast iron is cookware that never wears out. Clean it and re-season it with very light coats of oil, (I use Crisco). Again very light coats too much is not good and will never properly season but when you get it right there is nothing finer. Have fun!!

This is another hobby that I've picked up this year. It makes the wife happy because now I'm willing to go antiquing with her. I haven't picked up anything vintage yet, but we have some Lodge pieces that I love. We also have a skillet that has no markings, my wife claims she bought for cheap at a Kroger, and it's just as good as the Lodge. No idea what it is.

Some of the Field and Finnex pieces look amazing. Once I get the new grill taken care of, new CI is next.

Back