Can someone explain this to me please?

Randall S

TVWBB Fan
My first use of a PartyQ while smoking a pork butt. (It came out very good, btw). Anyway, as shown below is my "early" temperature readings. The probes were side by side about 1/2 in. from touching. As I continued the cook, the PartyQ was about 20 degrees "hotter" than the Ivation. About the last hour, they were basically the same.

Afterwards, I checked both using boiling water and the PartyQ was at 211 and the Ivation was at 212.

Is there a reason for this differential? Am I overlooking something?

Note: The PartyQ shows the actual temp as it was set to 240 degrees.

6866844b995e4bfa978b882b0235c74a_zpscetdokcb.jpg

Last edited:
Just a calibration issue. I bought a cheapo battery thermo solely for humidity levels in my house.

AC is set at 24o and room temp reads 24o. Cheapo thermo reads 25o. My instant read "stick in the meat" thermo reads 25o (this time) right now. Previously, one was 24, one was 25 and one was 26.

IMO, you should have no concerns. The only effect that 20o will have is in cooking TIME. Will not affect the quality of the finished product. You're checking meat temps near the end of the cook anyways.

The temp diff means nothing. Go have another beer and relax :)

My concern is that I want to be able to set the PartyQ and forget about it. I believe the Ivation reading is more correct based on lid thermometer reading differentials.

Now if I was sure the temp differential would stay the same, I wouldn't have an issue. However, during the cook it ranged from 35 degrees to basically 0 degrees. Therefore, I'm not sure exactly where to set the PartyQ to get the "approximate" temperature I want.

Trying to mix & match different temp probes in a cook will drive you bonkers IME. Pick one and stick with it.
Like Len said 20 deg is nothing when cooking outside, temps come and go when we naturally run, but with your ATC you should have consistent temps, so go with that.:wsm:

Tim

Sounds like you need to set the PartyQ at 240° and rely on that and relax.

Well, since it was my first use, I will monitor the next couple times before I do a set and leave for the day (or night). I just want to be "somewhat" confident of the actual cooking temp that will be held.

If they both read correctly in boiling water then you can be pretty confident that they were displaying the temp that they saw.

If they both read correctly in boiling water then you can be pretty confident that they were displaying the temp that they saw.

And this was my initial concern, the probes were literally 1/2" from each other (parallel and same distance from edge) and yet my picture shows a 36 degree difference! :confused:

I have both a maverick 733 and a partyQ. I have noticed temp differences using both devices. I typically notice them at the start of the cook. sometimes 20-30 degrees off. As the cook goes along typically they get in sync and run pretty close to the same. Not sure why it does it. When I start up my cook I have all dampers open and wait for the temp to get within 50 degrees of my target cook. Then I plug in my partyQ and let it rock. I start putting the partyQ pit probe in the cooker during the warm up. So it is "pre heated" when I turn on the PartyQ. Not sure it that helps but I do it!

I wouldn't stress too much about the temps. I would pick one device and go with it. As long as your are at a consistent temp and its within 25 degrees of your target you are good!

I wouldn't stress too much about the temps. I would pick one device and go with it. As long as your are at a consistent temp and its within 25 degrees of your target you are good!

Not stressing, but very curious. I'd like to get a 2nd meat probe and use that instead of the grill probe on the Ivation, but I would like to know my actual (within reason) grill temp and as of yet, don't trust the PartyQ probe. :(

I have been in touch with BBQGuru (fast response from this morning) and just sent a picture of my set up.

I did notice the temps got closer as the cook went and were basically the same by the end (but, almost 18 hrs. later). Depending on the response from BBQGuru, maybe I'll do a few more cooks and see how they compare, then go from there, lol.

Suggest driving down to Vista this Saturday and spending time at the Vista BBQ Classic. Might do wonders for any possible stress... but then again, might not help at all <grin>.

Suggest driving down to Vista this Saturday and spending time at the Vista BBQ Classic. Might do wonders for any possible stress... but then again, might not help at all <grin>.

Good advice:cool:

Or just run the dang thing naturally for awhile, until you get the hang of temps.:)

Tim

Good advice:cool:

Or just run the dang thing naturally for awhile, until you get the hang of temps.:)

Tim
Have the hang of temps, but wanted the PartyQ so I could take off for the day or sleep easier during an overnight cook. :rolleyes:
Just was surprised to see such a large difference in probe temps even though they aren't "scientific".

Have the hang of temps, but wanted the PartyQ so I could take off for the day or sleep easier during an overnight cook. :rolleyes:
Just was surprised to see such a large difference in probe temps even though they aren't "scientific".

Well that's good that you have the hang on it. You already know that x amount of lit over x amount of unlit will get you a certain temp and hold that for a certain amount of time by just adjusting the bottom vents.
And I take it you used the Ivation to monitor those temps, and everything was good, right?
Then you added a twist with the ATC and now your second guessing yourself. Don't do that, trust your instincts and go with the ATC because like Jerry pointed out your 2 for 2 using that.:wsm:

Tim

I tried to resist posting this, I really did, but couldn't help myself.
Intended good naturedly of course.
A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

I agree with timothy & Bob C. I have use the Mav 732 for quite a while & have had great q results. I bought a outdoorgourmet unit & it read 25 degs different. Who knows? Chucked the outdoorgourmet in the drawer, an stuck with the Mav & my Thermopop. Normal service resumed.

Back