Cable...Stream...what are you using?

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
I made the journey from cable to various streaming sites. Now I use HULU, Friendly & Netflix.

What do you use? Costs per month?
Do you use WIFI or ethernet cable?

Thanks

I only have a live streaming service during football season. And that's only so I can have ESPN and Fox Sports for college football games. Which means I pay about $60 per month for college football, during the season.

We have Hulu, Discovery + and that's it. We get those ad free, so those two are about $15 a month.

I have a Tablo DVR for OTA . That gives me all the local channels , PBS, and I get all my NFL OTA . I also get almost every OU Sooner football game OTA. I barely need ESPN and Fox.

I also pay $12 a month for YouTube Premium, because I watch a lot of YT vids and having no ads is really nice.

But we really have no need for a live TV streaming bundle.

I'm all streaming with Roku TVs or sticks over the Wifi. Some subscriptions change randomly depending on what shows are one like AMC+ while Walking Dead is on but for the most part my regulars are:

Disney+
Hulu
Netflix
Prime
Discovery+

Not sure of the total cost but I would estimate about $50.00 not counting the ones I turn on and off. I could probably get along with just the Discovery+ and the antennae but the family says no.

Right now testing Fubo through hard wired wifi.
I have Apple TV for my streaming device and I have Fubo TV love it but its pick your poison with these services you got to give up something on all of them.

So Fubo TV 65 bucks a month ATT Gig 70 bucks a month but what is nice about that is you get HBO Max for free which I love. Fubo for my wife has all the Hallmark Channels not the crap service they sell for 5 bucks a month they have the NFL Network so these games near the end you can only watch on that network No TNT on Fubo you got to give up something so if your a big NBA fan out of luck unless its a network game. Amazon Prime which I cannot live without so your paying a yearly fee but they have alot of good stuff for streaming also. I have the Amazon credit card in one year I have gotten 250 dollars of credits which I use so alot of stuff I buy from them is free and not to mention when I signed up for them a few years ago it was an instant $150 credit and their card like Costco has no annual fees.

We have Direct TV for live stuff, but have been watching a lot of TV on our Roku, especially My Kitchen Rules on Prime
And our new camper has 2 smart TV's in it, so we can stream if we want to

We're still using cable broadcast (okay, IPTV....) for a lot of TV service, but we also have a pretty atypical ISP.

Fubo Extra $77 a month. Xfinity 200 mbps Internet $59.00. Hulu with ads 99¢ a month. Amazon Prime $119 per year. Netflix $15.99 per month. Britbox 99¢ per month.

Google Fiber ISP, YouTube TV+, Amazon Prime and Disney+. Around $180 total, so far. We are getting used to this streaming thing and are happy with it.............until baseball season starts. That's up in the air. Hopefully Bally Sports will have a regional streaming package by then but we're not holding our breath.

This is the big development that would be total game changer, if ESPN goes direct to consumer. It would destroy the cable bundle. Fox would be forced to do the same. And then maybe I don't have to subscibe to a live streaming service just during football season . No more of this having to pay for channels that I will never watch.

Course, ESPN may charge so much for the service, that I will long for the days of the bundle , but hey .....

This is a real wonky story on subscriber numbers , but I wll C&P a few paragraphs from the bottom that I think are pertinent.

https://www.lightreading.com/video-...-another-637000-subs-in-q3-2021/d/d-id/774357

Eyes on ESPN

Bigger picture, MoffettNathanson is keeping close tabs on how national and regional sports networks, considered the glue holding the pay-TV bundle together, could further impact subscriber losses in the future.

In a recent report that tied in new survey data from Altman Solon, MoffettNathanson suggested that there are about 58 million sports viewing households still taking the pay-TV bundle, representing "a potential floor for linear subscribers over time."

Should Disney decide one day to take ESPN fully direct-to-consumer (DTC), MoffettNathanson believes it could "trigger a complete collapse of the system." Thus far, Disney has taken a more conservative path with ESPN+, a premium subscription add-on. That approach has contributed to a relatively orderly decline of pay-TV.

"But there is clearly a risk that the declines become disorderly," the analysts explained. "All it would take is one major player – ESPN is the obvious candidate – to decide that the future demands a bolder shift in their best programming to DTC, or, alternatively, that their entire suite of programming should be simultaneously available DTC... and the Jenga tower would collapse."

Roku is the platform, I subscribe to YouTube TV, Disney+ and Netflix, works out to be about $86 a month and that's for 5 connections (so far) I have Vudu and I buy Movies & TV Series on it, however there's a lot of good free Movies on Vudu and the commercials aren't too bad for the free stuff. I get Hulu subscription for free from my cell service, Sprint, but I rarely watch Hulu. My daughter does.

No cable, no streaming, no broadcast television. We rewatch our collection of DVDs and go to the library and borrow DVDs. I mean, we still have a CRT television for crying' out loud! :ROFLMAO:

I read a good report a while back that pirated shows on torrent sites went way down about 4 years ago when all you had to do was have Netflix and could watch almost anything. Now with shows being scattered on so many pay services that you have to subscribe to at least 5 services like @Russ in CFL people have gone back to the torrents. What makes it really nice is that with programs like Sonarr you can just input the series you want and it will download them automatically as they come out in the resolution you want (not that I would ever do that). I subscribe to Amazon and Netflix.
1641481738759.png

Our local phone company has its own service that's delivered on fiber optics. It includes internet, an array of TV channels comparable to cable or satellite, and phone. Wife takes care of the bills but IIRC, it's ~$130/month. We do have the fastest available internet speed but will be dropping that when the wife retires later in the year. She had planned on retiring late last year, but since the vax requirement was postponed, stayed on for another season.

This is the big development that would be total game changer, if ESPN goes direct to consumer. It would destroy the cable bundle. Fox would be forced to do the same. And then maybe I don't have to subscibe to a live streaming service just during football season . No more of this having to pay for channels that I will never watch.

Course, ESPN may charge so much for the service, that I will long for the days of the bundle , but hey .....

This is a real wonky story on subscriber numbers , but I wll C&P a few paragraphs from the bottom that I think are pertinent.

https://www.lightreading.com/video-...-another-637000-subs-in-q3-2021/d/d-id/774357
Doesn't ESPN already do this with the Disney+ bundle? I don't have that version but I'm pretty sure one includes ESPN channels.

Doesn't ESPN already do this with the Disney+ bundle? I don't have that version but I'm pretty sure one includes ESPN channels.

No, ESPN+ does not include the ESPN networks. Its mostly on-demand, with a few live events that most people don't care about.

We have Dishnetwork for locals and sports along with a bunch of networks we never view plus Amazon Prime and Netflix. I am getting irritated with all the streaming services popping up like Peacock, Paramount +, CBS all access, Hulu, Disney etc. What is really crazy is the way some shows are streamed. If you want to watch Yellowstone, You watch the first two seasons on Peacock, the next two on the Paramount network on demand and if you want the 1883 prequel, you need Paramount Plus--it is nuts. You can dump hundreds a month to get everything you want to watch.

We have Dishnetwork for locals and sports along with a bunch of networks we never view plus Amazon Prime and Netflix. I am getting irritated with all the streaming services popping up like Peacock, Paramount +, CBS all access, Hulu, Disney etc. What is really crazy is the way some shows are streamed. If you want to watch Yellowstone, You watch the first two seasons on Peacock, the next two on the Paramount network on demand and if you want the 1883 prequel, you need Paramount Plus--it is nuts. You can dump hundreds a month to get everything you want to watch.
This has been well foreseen. It's been pretty obvious for quite a few years now that every content creator was going to create their own streaming service and cut both cable and broadcast systems out of the revenue stream. If you think that what you're observing in terms of cost is accidental, I'm dead positive you're incorrect, it's completely intentional. The intent is to get as much money out of you as possible.

This has been well foreseen. It's been pretty obvious for quite a few years now that every content creator was going to create their own streaming service and cut both cable and broadcast systems out of the revenue stream. If you think that what you're observing in terms of cost is accidental, I'm dead positive you're incorrect, it's completely intentional. The intent is to get as much money out of you as possible.

Well, they're doing a very poor job of it then.

I was paying $130 a month for cable tv year round. I'm not anywhere near that now, even during football season.

And my bill for ISP quit going up. When I cut the cable four years ago, it was $83 a month. Its $83 a month now. Cox finally quit jacking up the price every year, claiming their costs were increasing. I think they're scared to death of losing more customers.

Back