Cabin trekking with a massive Ribeye

Richard S

TVWBB Pro
Hiked into the cabin this weekend and with a few feet of fresh snow it was a fun adventure! Cabin time is always spent with great food and the menu for Saturday was a 1.7 pound ribeye!
A large herd of elk passed about 70 yards in front of us on the way in!
FullSizeRender.jpegSkipping ahead to Saturday! I salted the beef in the morning and let it sit in the fridge uncovered. IMG_5066.jpegPulled the kettle out of the shed for this cook. Had to do this over fire 🔥 IMG_5083.jpegDid the hasselbacks on the GenesisIMG_5077.jpegI decided to do this cook with lots of flipping to get a nice crust and char up the salt and pepper 🌶️ IMG_5085.jpegTook it to about 120 then finished it off indirect to about 135. IMG_5084.jpegInside the cabin…magic was happening with mushrooms and red wine reduction. IMG_5080.jpegLet the beef rest for a few then sliced and plated along with some spinach. IMG_5088.jpegIMG_5089.jpegIMG_5091.jpegHalfway through the meal we remembered we had Hasselbacks 😂🥃🍺🍷IMG_5092.jpegThis was a $30 steak and worth it! Fed two of us for dinner plus tacos this morning! Melt in your mouth beef IMG_5097.jpegCheers!IMG_5074.jpeg

Another awesome cook and this time with some adventure. Was there a Bull in that herd? That was an awesome moment

Had the same dinner last night however mine was closer to 16 - 18 ounces and it was as cheap as $30....
We get taken up here on beef prices.
Looks like a great weekend, makes me jealous.
Too many 5% or 15% or even 50% can make one forget about part of the meal.....makes me chuckle thinking about a 14 hour smoke and the shape I am in when it comes time to deliver the meal.

I’ll have what he’s having!
You know, the bent handle on the kettle makes it look like it’s running very fast ro the wind is howling! I had a lid like that years ago.

I agree with Rich, that is one great way to spend some time and have a wonderful meal. Give me a chair, nice fire and some wine and I'm a happy camper.;)

Another awesome cook and this time with some adventure. Was there a Bull in that herd? That was an awesome moment
Didn't see a Bull...it's crazy because I've spent a lot of time up there and that's only the second time I've seen elk, even though there are signs of them everywhere! Going in winter is cool because you can see the bear and mountain lion tracks, too!

Back