But how does it TASTE?

KToliver

TVWBB Fan
Ok, folks...I am really considering a bird for T-Day, But as a first timer, I need to know; is it worth it versus the good ‘ol oven?

My question concerns the quality of the smoke flavor. Since the bird has skin covering pretty much all of the meat, I have to assume that this hampers the meat from taking on smoke flavor. If I loosen the skin to season below it, I still wonder if that helps with it picking up Smokey flavor. And if my wife pulls all that nice crispy skin off to shave calories, will her portion taste no different than oven turkey?

Love to hear your opinions.

I have used the following recipe for the past three years and we find it much better than a bird done in the oven. I go light on the smoke, with maybe 1-2 chunks because it's too easy to over-smoke a bird (in my opinion). You could try a dry run prior to Thanksgiving. That's what I initially did with this recipe. Skin can be hit or miss. Some will be rubbery, some crispy. I keep what I can on the bird and toss the rest (I take the meat off the carcass prior to serving).

https://www.weber.com/US/en/recipes/poultry/brined-and-barbecued-turkey/weber-9139.html

Last edited:
Cooking the turkey on a WSM (or Kettle... so long as it's a Weber...) is the ONLY way to go !!!

We purchased our first smoker back in '76 to cook that year's Thanksgiving turkey. It is what got me started in the crazy bbq thing ;)

Couple of years ago we switched from cooking it whole, like the recipe, to spatchcocking it. So much better, both time wise and juiciness wise...

I’ve been kettle cooking turkeys for almost forty years, some have been better than others but they have all been delicious!

Couple of years ago we switched from cooking it whole, like the recipe, to spatchcocking it. So much better, both time wise and juiciness wise...

This, in triplicate and spades. The only time I'll cook poultry whole is if I'm deep frying it. Oven roasting, smoking, baking, etc. all get spatchcocked or quartered. The only thing you give up is the presentation factor. It'll cook in just over half the time, bones underneath and skin on top is almost an ideal method. Oh, and cook to temp, not to time. 155ish in the white meat, 165ish dark, let it rest and you're done. Get it too hot and you're starting to look at dried out bird.

Yep. I agree with the others, esp Todd.
Don't wait until the big day to do your first, try one before and see if you like it.

Every year I do three ( i feed a crowd), one in the oven stuffed, one on the smoker or kettle and one in the oiless turkey fryer.
The oven one has the most leftovers, so ya, the taste of a smoked bird is worth it.

Tim

Smoked turkey...is good for sandwiches imo.

Not thanksgiving dinner with gravy and stuffing

Every year we inject and fry 2 turkeys, in addition to oven roasting big bird. The injected fried birds are for snacking while big one cooks.

I smoke birds or breasts, for sandwich meat thru the holidays, and a few other times per year. Hotter and faster is juicier....but it wont taste like smoked turkey if too fast. Just like oven turkey

Skin on a smoked turkey is inedible....really really smoky if you want any flavor in meat . If looking for something different...injecting or brining is the ticket.

Last edited:
I like the taste much better smoking a turkey but we have had as many as 21 people eating so l do 2 turkeys. 1 oven baked and 1 smoked. This year l'm doing a 3rd turkey, deep fried injected. I think l'll use the Chef Paul Prudomme recipe for injecting the turkey.

Jim, that sounds pretty good!
I have done fried turkeys a few times, deep fried a ham a couple of times which turned out to be one of the big surprises on my cooking life! It was excellent. I’m really getting hungry!

Last edited:
We did 2 turkeys for a while, one in the oven and one outside. 100% of the time everyone preferred the smoked turkey so I quit making one inside. Makes more room for sides in the oven. Keep in mind when I say smoked I mean cooked on the grill outside using charcoal and wood junks so it does take on a smokey flavor but I'm not cooking low and slow. I also spatchcock and cook at 300-350 so it gets done.

In a kettle with a little smoke wood (pecan for me) gives the bird a nice wood-roasted flavor that can't be matched in an oven.

Jeff

Thanks for all the feedback, folks! I'M IN!

Now to select the brine of choice...oye. JDMaple or classic Apple? Decisions, decisions...

Back