BroilMaster P3 Restore

I think the flame itself happens at the hole in the burner. I'm not being contrary, I'm just trying to think this through. I guess the most important thing is to find out whether there is any advantage to the larger burner.

I just remember clearly a lesson in my high school chemistry class where the teacher showed us how the hottest part of the flame in a bunsen burner was the very tip. This is when the burner was carbureted most efficiently, so a pretty intense cone shaped flame with no lazy flames but more like a blowtorch. The hottest part of that kind of a flame is the tip of the cone. He was showing us that so that when we were boiling beakers of water it wouldn't take us 45 minutes.

THyde: You are dead on with the tip of the flame being the hottest. That is a key point in welding and brazing as well.

Yes, so it's by that logic that I wonder whether there is a heating advantage, or any other advantage like evenness of heat at the grates, for the larger bowtie.

I'm just throwing an idea out here, but isn't it possible that the smaller one is "better"? When burning fuel, it is a mixture of oxygen and fuel that creates heat, so the smaller one may provide more efficient burning of the gas due to more oxygen able to mix with the gas at combustion.

Does the larger one "work better"? Which one has a better range of temperatures, low and high?

I'm just kind of jumping in here for no reason, if I'm way off base just disregard this ha ha
The reviews/complaints I read about the smaller version stated that it failed to distribute adequate heat to the entire perimeter of the fire box because of it's smaller footprint at the bottom. I'd estimate that's about 15% of the grilling surface on a BM P3.

I cannot compare as when I acquired my BM the burner was totally rotted out. BM was kind enough to send me a new (design) one. I wasn't about to turn down a freebie. But I don't think for one minute they went to the small one for better performance. I think it was cost saving to only stock one burner

I came across a side burner for my Broilmaster P3 on FBMP. I believe it's discontinued but the price was right and it's brand new. $60 delivered if it all pans out. If all the parts are there and I believe they are, I only need to swap out the LP orifice for the NG one. Will be a good add on if it all works out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230101-104350_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230101-104350_Chrome.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 2
Good deal. Post picture when you have it installed. I had wanted the inset one for the SS side shelf but it was much $$$.

Sounds like a great find Jay. My only concern is the orifice issue. But, I guess if all else fails, you would be able to drill out the LP orifice.
From what I gather it's a 1.73mm hole. I'm not quite sure what size drill bit that's readily available that would be, but the part is available from several grill parts outlets approximately $14.
I believe it comes with the side burner kit that includes both size orifices...it's just that it comes with the LP installed.
We'll see if it all pans out.

Doesn't look like the FBMP sale will pan out. Got a notification that the transaction was canceled and PayPal was issuing a refund to me because the seller didn't ship it in time. Although, he did send a message saying he was having difficulty printing the shipping label but he didn't seem too motivated to resolve it. I guess the FBMP payment process is linked to shipping the item and generation of a tracking number. Oh well.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like the FBMP sale will pan out. Got a notification that the transaction was canceled and PayPal was issuing a refund to me because the seller didn't ship it in time. Although, he did send a message saying he was having difficulty printing the shipping label but he didn't seem too motivated to resolve it. I guess the FBMP payment process is linked to shipping the item and generation of a tracking number. Oh well.
That does happen. Try messaging him to help him work the system. I have had to do that.

Well, this deal worked out fine. UPS just delivered the side burner with what appears to be all of the original parts. There is no NG orifice...I don't know why I thought there would be.
But, $21 later, I ordered it from eReplacement parts. I can strongly recommend AGAINST GrillCollection...$25 flat rate shipping...for what amounts to a screw...Zero flexibility on that too. The downside is 3 weeks to get it. But I don't see many alternatives. Perhaps drill out the existing LP orifice...but finding a 1.73mm bit is a chore. Take it to a machine shop and have them drill it out? That could cost $20 or so too.
Anyway, the side burner is new with that plastic shrinkwrap still on it which, given it's age might be tough to get off now. I'm thinking a hair dryer to heat and loosen it.
I'll take some pictures of this project when I start on it.

Last edited:

Back