Brisket wrapped in Butcher Paper with QView

Van DeWald

TVWBB Fan
I smoked a 7.5 brisket flat today on my WSM 14.5, with a kosher salt/course pepper rub, mix of hickory and apple wood for smoke, then wrapped in butcher paper at 167 degrees, and pulled it from the smoker at 201. Finished right at 7 hours, which I thought was a little fast, but the meat was perfectly tender for my taste. I would say, using the butcher paper made a nice improvement on the bark versus using the foil, but it also seemed the brisket was just a tad drier than normal. All my dripping juice was absorbed in the butcher paper, which I guess is a common pitfall. What can I do to add a little moisture back to the meat? Would this be some type of au jus? Or should I not even worry about it? The flavor was outstanding. My best brisket yet.

Here's a graph of my smoker and meat temps, and a Qview of the final product. Overall, it was a good day, after rookie mistake at the beginning. I set the meat out on the counter to let it start warming up, and went to light my chimney for the minion burn. In my absence, the cat jumped up on the counter and was nibbling on a corner of the raw brisket when I got back inside. Cats love meat too! Oops.

20161016_brisket.png

20161016_qview.jpg

That looks fantastic. Your graph looks like you hardly stalled at all. That's cool. If it's slightly drier it doesn't look like it. That might just be normal variation between briskets. You might try a drip pan to catch some more. I usually have some drippings left although a lot soaks into the paper. I'm the type that if I have some I'm not going to bother separating the fat.

Back