Brisket Slab, Overnight Smoke Results, part 2

Lory Harrison

TVWBB Member
After a 12 hour overnight smoke, here is the brisket, bright and early at 9am ready for breakfast tacos.

image.jpg1_zpseuv7nkvy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I wrap in but her or wax paper only. There's no need to ruin it with tinfoil.

image.jpg2_zpsnls11ihs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That first piece is a slice of pitmaster prize, a smokey dark moist joy.

image.jpg5_zps4u0po0ba.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image.jpg5_zpsefgzfqcu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image.jpg4_zps4kyo8751.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image.jpg7_zpspzhlitzl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image.jpg3_zpse563cyzg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image.jpg1_zps0dvcvnp7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My dog always gets first bite!!!

image.jpg6_zpsl8yxdpaz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thank you all for looking!!

Great looking meat you've got there. Looks like you may have done that once or twice :cool: I like how you pre-pick your wood because its too dark and/or your too tired. - I need to start doing that.

Great looking bark for brisket. And chicken looks terrific too.

Just my feeling: i'm looking at the brisket meat trama. I can see very long fibers. Could it be you did not slice against the grain ?

Thank you everyone! And no Enrico I did not slice against the grain, I'm not a buy the book person, I guess this was anti Texas style. ;). I might have been asleep still when I cut that slab.

To be honest, I make these weekly for our food intake so I don't see it like a treat or a special piece of meat. I'm just grateful I didn't burn the neighborhood down and that I got the fire started easily again after I woke up.

I don't do a lot of night smokes but between the 100 weather and the flooding, it was a nice change. I'm tempted to buy a kettle and see if it can handle a slab smoke but I just don't think the results will be the same, the air and small room for wood is cramped. And chips aint enough.

Thank you again everyone !!!! The hard part was staying up alone!! But I'm a huge huge loyal fan of Tim Russell And his style of Kentucky grill pit cookin, that is the only hero I have in the land of BBQ. I wish I could cook with him!!! He's a true master.

:cool:Really looks good, so brisket is a staple food at your house? How long do you let guests stay? :wsm:

:cool:Really looks good, so brisket is a staple food at your house? How long do you let guests stay? :wsm:

Yes it's a staple food, it's mostly shredded up for tacos, that's how we eat it. Haha no guests unless you count the many snakes we had this spring with the flooding!! I smoke these slabs weekly, sometimes every two, depending on how fast we go thru it.

We make tamales out of brisket and empanadas too, it's just how we've always done it, it's a great meat all around all year, it really never gets old. We don't go out to eat except to order pizza or get onion rings at Whataburger so we really save a lot of money. Earlier this ur I was using oak from a downed tree but it ran out and that's ok, I'm not a fan of oak smoking too much, I prefer mesquite or northern maple but we don't get that here.

Thank you for your compliment!

Man! That thing looks like it came from outer space! Lol! I love it! Seriously, killer bark on that thing, I like dark bark, so tasty. killer ring too!

Looks good! I think the grain on that brisket was pretty weird to start with. Typically it runs the other direction. I'd blame the cow. Awesome smoke ring and bark!

Back