Brisket on the Franklin Pit

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I've cooked my first brisket on my new pit this last weekend.

6hS19bFl.jpg

Seasoned with salt and pepper with a mustard slather.

Cooked with oak sticks.

8oV8GfRl.jpg

Brisket on. Got some tallow softening up to season the outside of the pit.

Tried to keep it at 275.

Fire doing it's thing.

Wrapped brisket. I cooked it for about 12 hours.

Thanks to Lynn Dollar for this tip. I used a Roaster Oven to hold the brisket. It held between 140 and 150 all night.

Brisket after the cook.

otY5o57l.jpg

Sliced brisket

More sliced.

Point sliced.

oKhJoASl.jpg

Sausage. This was cooked on the kettle

7HztON6l.jpg

Brisket and sausage.

yzqWGc0l.jpg

Plated.

This was a long cook. It was a CAB choice. Next time I'll cook a prime. I got better fat rendering than I ever have on this cook. The smoke flavor and bark were amazing. Flat was a little dry. Not my best brisket but not my worst. I can't wait to cook another brisket on this pit.

Just curious, what was your wait time for the franklin? It seems price wise in line with a Jambo backyard so I'm very interested in how it compares.

It's hard to say because the sign up was a few years ago. They only started pumping them out last year. Mine was number 138.

Just checking in here. Any updates/feedback on the franklin pit? How are you liking that beast?

I like mine a lot. I got number 157. Only have three cooks due to all the rain we've had, that was ribs, pork butt, and a brisket last Saturday. The pit has great air flow that produced great bark on my brisket. Its a brisket smoking machine.

20210529_184352.jpg20210529_184542.jpg20210529_185958.jpg20210528_194755.jpg

Hey Lynn! Didn't know you took the plunge too. I guess that's a bit of a change from the Brazos. Looks fantastic!

You guys are killing me with these Franklin pits. My name came up on the list but I've got nowhere to put one so I graciously declined.

J-E-A-L-O-U-S.

Just checking in here. Any updates/feedback on the franklin pit? How are you liking that beast?
My only other stickburning experience is on the Old Country and I didn't cook on it a ton. This pit beats that hands down. Most of it is in the design. The Franklin has a what he calls a collector on the base of the stack that takes a hot spot out of the pit that's usually right in front of the exhaust and creates a ton of convection. It also doesn't have that baffle between the firebox and cook chamber the Old Country and a lot of other pits have. That baffle directs heat down and it would just come up in the middle of the pit and tend to scorch the bottom of your food. You'd get an illusion of even cooking but it's not really even.

The Franklin instead has a water pan shelf that sits higher and directs the heat more on top of the food. You can see it in Lynn's picture above. (By the way that brisket looks amazing, Lynn!) I've put some temp probes in and the Franklin pit is very even. It does tend to get hotter on the stack side if you shut the door completely but not by a lot. It's dead even with the door cracked. I will say that whatever is right in front of that water pan shelf will get hot. That's just a tradeoff in the design that I think makes sense. This cooker has a ton of airflow and convection. The semi-insulated firebox helps keep temps steady and helps force the heat and air into the cook chamber.

I will say this. This pit doesn't hold your hand at all. You have to develop good fire management. A lot of people complain about no damper on the door or exhaust. This is just Franklin saving you from yourself. It's really in learning to build a fire correctly.

What I've noticed on the food is way better rendering of fat and better bark. I also has far superior smoke flavor because you can run the fire very cleanly.

All that said I'm still a huge WSM fan. The WSM is my set it and forget it no fuss smoker. The Franklin is for when I absolutely wanna fuss with it. Tending a fire on a stickburner is addictive. I'll admit, it's not for everybody.

My only other stickburning experience is on the Old Country and I didn't cook on it a ton. This pit beats that hands down. Most of it is in the design. The Franklin has a what he calls a collector on the base of the stack that takes a hot spot out of the pit that's usually right in front of the exhaust and creates a ton of convection. It also doesn't have that baffle between the firebox and cook chamber the Old Country and a lot of other pits have. That baffle directs heat down and it would just come up in the middle of the pit and tend to scorch the bottom of your food. You'd get an illusion of even cooking but it's not really even.

The Franklin instead has a water pan shelf that sits higher and directs the heat more on top of the food. You can see it in Lynn's picture above. (By the way that brisket looks amazing, Lynn!) I've put some temp probes in and the Franklin pit is very even. It does tend to get hotter on the stack side if you shut the door completely but not by a lot. It's dead even with the door cracked. I will say that whatever is right in front of that water pan shelf will get hot. That's just a tradeoff in the design that I think makes sense. This cooker has a ton of airflow and convection. The semi-insulated firebox helps keep temps steady and helps force the heat and air into the cook chamber.

I will say this. This pit doesn't hold your hand at all. You have to develop good fire management. A lot of people complain about no damper on the door or exhaust. This is just Franklin saving you from yourself. It's really in learning to build a fire correctly.

What I've noticed on the food is way better rendering of fat and better bark. I also has far superior smoke flavor because you can run the fire very cleanly.

All that said I'm still a huge WSM fan. The WSM is my set it and forget it no fuss smoker. The Franklin is for when I absolutely wanna fuss with it. Tending a fire on a stickburner is addictive. I'll admit, it's not for everybody.

What he said.

Hey Lynn! Didn't know you took the plunge too. I guess that's a bit of a change from the Brazos. Looks fantastic!

Yes, its different. Insulated firebox , much better air flow , there's a learning curve. I'm gonna enjoy learning.

Every detail has been thought out.

Back