Brew Day

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Alabama just made home brewing legal in May. Last State in the union -- imagine that. Our statehouse is full of forward thinkers. I used to brew 20 yrs ago when stationed in Savannah and with all the brew pubs, micro brews, and craft brews lately I decided to get back in the game.

So yesterday, I placed a pork butt in Angry Orchard Hard Apple Cider (per Bob Correll). Today was brew day and I knew my brew crew would be hungry so I fired up the WSM at 0 dark early, rubbed the butt with some oil and Bad Byron's Butt Rub, and started down the long road to pulled pork.

Here's my Brown Ale brew kit

and brew kettle

Starting the boil now... you can see the iGrill keeping tabs on the WSM.

All boiled, cooled, yeast pitched, and sitting in the basement for the fermentation. It'll be ready for priming and bottling in a cpl weeks.

...and the butt was ready to go

yum

Last edited:
Looks like the best of 2 worlds, bbq and home made brew. I was at a wedding last night at a pub that brews its own beers.
But when they offered a beer made with bananas I had to pass and bite my tongue.

Fun stuff Dwaine! I've been contemplating getting into home brew myself I just haven't made the jump! Pork butt looks awesome too!

Back