Brand New WSM 22" Not happy

Just a thought...

If you have trouble shutting down the smoker in a timely manner (even after receiving your new parts), and if have a 22" kettle, remove the smoker center section and cover the bowl with the lid from the 22" kettle (vent closed or course). I know this sounds unorthodox, but I'd be willing to bet the coals will extinguish much faster.

If I recall correctly, my 18" kettle lid will fit the bowl of my 18" smoker, and I'm assuming their 22" brethren will do the same.

I may start using this method myself when I'm in a pinch for time. All I need now if a kettle lid for the 14" smoker. :p

Last edited:
This honestly sounds like a lot of complaining about nothing. That tiny it of 'daylight' will not effect the use of the smoker, you just need to use it and get used to how it runs.

I think you are probably spoiled by the build quality of that Shirley fabrication rig! I'm so jealous. Once my wife gets out of nursing school I'm going to buy a smoker. They are the main one I'm looking at.

Hi You can't go wrong with a Shirley..Build quality is top of the line!!!
Dan

Last edited:
This honestly sounds like a lot of complaining about nothing. That tiny it of 'daylight' will not effect the use of the smoker, you just need to use it and get used to how it runs.

Hi Those tiny openings affected my old WSM, where it didn't want to shut down. Had trouble at times keeping temps stable for my over night cooks.
Dan

Those tiny openings alone are not enough to cause issues. It may take longer to cool down than you expected with the vents closed, but a lot of that could be the door, not those tiny openings. I've also found that when you do shut it down you need to leave it along for a while, even after you think the fire is out, if you open it up (say to remove a drip pan) that big gulp of fresh oxygen can get the fire going again and cause the temp to go back up. I put a gasket on my door and it's helped with quicker cool-down.

Overnight stability could be a whole host of things (ash choking the fire, running out of fuel, running out of water, etc), but it's not those tiny openings.

Used my 22 yesterday and had occasion to really look at the damper wheel thingees, on mine, the part where the tab is, there IS a tiny gap at that one hole, never noticed it before. However, when I shut everything down the coals go out fast. So I don't think those pinholes are causing your problem, there must be larger air leaks somewhere else.

Hi Right they don't close ALL the way. I can see pin holes and daylight coming thru. I tried to bend one of the tabs/stop notch and the tab broke off
Sorry to hear that. I actually removed my tabs (broke them off the the needle nose pliers) not for any reason other than not having to pay attention to which way to turn them. Trust me, not having the tabs won't hurt anything, think of it as a Mod, LOL

I will say this, it's nice not having to pay attention which way to turn the daisy wheels

Hi All Is there any problem using lava rocks in a foiled water? I think it will keep the temps more stable. Any idea's or thoughts on this let me know Gonna fire up the WSM22 to night for an over night cook..Putting on a small chucky and 7-8 lb brisket..The chucky will be pulled .
Will post back with pic and results.

Thanks Dan

Hi All Is there any problem using lava rocks in a foiled water? I think it will keep the temps more stable.
I did that years ago. Started with sand. Then switched to ceramic briquettes. Then used both sand and ceramic briquettes. If you get enough mass in there it will definitely help it come back up to temp quicker after you open the lid. Beyond that I don't think it does much other than steal heat initially as it's warming up.

I've switched to using a foiled dry pan and managing my temps with the vents and amount of fuel. If you're having trouble with it getting too hot, water in the pan will give you a very large margin of error as long as you're not going much above 275F. I have trouble getting my WSM18 higher than that if there's water in the pan. That's primarily why I've switched to a dry pan.

Hi All I understand new WSM like to run hot until they are seasoned..What can I do with my 1st cook, to keep the temps 225-250 range?

Hi All I have the lava rocks already in the foiled pan. Getting ready to start the fire.
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Hi All Well the over night cook is done .Things went really well, fired up the WSM at 8:30 with 7/8's full of KBB..Fire went good until 5:30 am had to add a chimney of KBB.
Vents worked good to my adjustments..It is now 9:41 I shut down the WSM at 8:30, temps are still reading 140's.Is this normal?
Dan

Hi All Well the over night cook is done .Things went really well, fired up the WSM at 8:30 with 7/8's full of KBB..Fire went good until 5:30 am had to add a chimney of KBB.
Vents worked good to my adjustments..It is now 9:41 I shut down the WSM at 8:30, temps are still reading 140's.Is this normal?
Dan

What's the outside temp? Is it sitting in direct sunlight? Our summers here in middle GA are HOT, mine will hit 150*F sitting in the sun without a fire in it!

Mine cools down pretty slowly, it's better since I added the gasket to the door to seal it up, but it still cools down slower than I initially thought it would.

Cool down time doesn't really matter to me though, so long as the fire is out and I'm not wasting charcoal, it takes however long it takes.

My 22.5 isn't well seasoned and it takes a couple of hours to cool to 100° when the outside air temp is in the 90s. I added the gasket kit to mine and that helped some but it's still much slower than my 18.5 cooling down. Given the size difference there's a lot more hot metal in the charcoal grate and charcoal basket to cool down. I'm learning the 22 just like you.

OK guys thanks for replies. As far as the unit cooling down,maybe I have some work to do on the door.. Overall I'm happy with the performance of the new WSM for over night cooks. Held temps really well after my vent adjustments. Outside temps were in the 60's. Dome temps were only 10* off from my Maverick on the grate.
DanB

Last edited:
With all due respect, and absolutely no disrespect intended, I've never understood why there is a need to get these cookers 100% airtight.
They were not designed or built that way.
I have no problem cooking on them just the way they are.
Never had a problem adjusting temps or getting them to shut down.

100% agree.

WOW I'm impressed with Weber sent them an 2 Emails regarding my concern over the openings in the vents..Got an Email reply today a new bowl is on its way:) Made my day!!!
Can't beat that for customer service!!!!!
Dan
PS I think Weber must be reading these forums.

Hopefully getting a new Bowl will make you happy, but it is highly unlikely that It will be any different than the original.
With a tab bent down in every hole on the vent wheel as stoppers its impossible for it to completely seal.

What is the cost of a Shirley Smoker?
Starting at $1,750.00.

What is the cost of a 22"WSM?
$399.00 delivered.

What is the cost of delivering a Shirley Smoker?
Don't ask.

Comparing a Shirley Smoker to a Weber Smoker is totally unfair.

I actually removed my tabs (broke them off the the needle nose pliers) not for any reason other than not having to pay attention to which way to turn them.
Like most of the kettle grills...no tabs, daisy wheel spins 360��°. Why the WSM is different, I have no idea.

Back