Bob's Bacon

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
After the passing of Bob Correll I wanted to make a batch of his famous Bacon Made Easy. I got a piece of pork belly from Wild Fork and followed his simple tablespoon per pound of tender quick, added it to course black pepper and brown sugar. Rubbed that and toped it with some maple syrup. 10 ish days later this is what it looked like.
IMG_20220504_085656924.jpg

After an over night rest it went on the smoker with a lot of pecan and hickory wood. I smoked it until it hit 148, the smoker was between 150 and 175 the whole time.

I cut a few thin slices and fried them up, they were excellent. I will be smoking a turkey breast Tomorrow night to make sandwiches with the bacon on Friday. I will post them also. Besides those few slices the slab is in the fridge in a ziplock bag for another over night rest before I slice it tomorrow.
IMG_20220504_123913886.jpg

Thank you Bob for teaching me to do something I never thought I would be able to do! You are missed, and you impact is still occurring.

Last edited:
After the passing of Bob Cornell I wanted to make a batch of his famous Bacon Made Easy. I got a piece of pork belly from Wild Fork and followed his simple tablespoon per pound of tender quick, added it to course black pepper and brown sugar. Rubbed that and toped it with some maple syrup. 10 ish days later this is what it looked like.
View attachment 50202

After an over night rest it went on the smoker with a lot of pecan and hickory wood. I smoked it until it hit 148, the smoker was between 150 and 175 the whole time.

I cut a few thin slices and fried them up, they were excellent. I will be smoking a turkey breast Tomorrow night to make sandwiches with the bacon on Friday. I will post them also. Besides those few slices the slab is in the fridge in a ziplock bag for another over night rest before I slice it tomorrow.
View attachment 50222

Thank you Bob for teaching me to do something I never thought I would be able to do! You are missed, and you impact is still occurring.
Respect 🫡

Some more pictures from last night as I sliced it up.
Using the Amazon knifes that you guys recommend and I know Bob also got a set. Yes, I use these DAILY, and yes they always go back in the case and put away. You can see the start of the scrap pill on the right side that for cooked tonight.
IMG_20220505_212418659.jpg

Close up of the pile of sliced bacon at that point.
IMG_20220505_212439716.jpg

Close up of the slab.
IMG_20220505_212444941.jpg

Done
IMG_20220505_213403579.jpg

And done. That little pile got fried up tonight!
IMG_20220505_213356752.jpg

Family thought is was as excellent as I did. My older two asked if I was planning to use it to make something weird or if they were really just going to get to eat it! They are really looking forward to bacon sandwiches tonight.

Nice tribute to Bob, Michael.
Looks really good, I have so many variations of his original recipe it's crazy. With Barbs help we did two whole pork bellies s from Costco cut into thirds. I was able to get all of it into the Camp Chef Don't remember the exact amount, but it was well over 100 vacuum seal bags with six slices in each bag. That was over six months ago. We gifted some but we still have plenty left for us.

Nice tribute to Bob, Michael.
Looks really good, I have so many variations of his original recipe it's crazy. With Barbs help we did two whole pork bellies s from Costco cut into thirds. I was able to get all of it into the Camp Chef Don't remember the exact amount, but it was well over 100 vacuum seal bags with six slices in each bag. That was over six months ago. We gifted some but we still have plenty left for us.
Rich,
"Two whole bellies", is that like 20 lbs? Yeah that is a lot of bacon, especially for the two of you. I have the opposite problem, with three teenagers and three adults it seems no matter how much I make it is never enough! I will see how much of this I cook up tonight, but I am going to be ok if it is all of it. I was just telling a co-worker how much I wish there was a Costco near by so I could get the whole belly rather then just a smaller piece. He told me about a small local butcher that will do whole belly's. He swears it is high quality so I want to check them out this summer and do a bigger batch.

Rich,
"Two whole bellies", is that like 20 lbs? Yeah that is a lot of bacon, especially for the two of you. I have the opposite problem, with three teenagers and three adults it seems no matter how much I make it is never enough! I will see how much of this I cook up tonight, but I am going to be ok if it is all of it. I was just telling a co-worker how much I wish there was a Costco near by so I could get the whole belly rather then just a smaller piece. He told me about a small local butcher that will do whole belly's. He swears it is high quality so I want to check them out this summer and do a bigger batch.
The combined weight of the two was somewhere in the low 30.s.. Barb took about 6-7 pounds into Safeway and gave some to her boss and co workers and some to the three butchers that take such good care of us.
Well about two weeks later she went back to pick up some chicken and two of the three butchers were there and both told Barb it was the best bacon they ever had.
I shared that with Bob and thanked him again for getting me started in my bacon adventures.

Great pile of bacon, Michael, and a wonderful way to keep Bob with us! I have a belly from CostCo in the fridge that I will drop in the cure tomorrow. I will look forward to my version of an Egg McBob when it's ready. :)

R

Thanks!!! That means a lot coming for you!
Now I’m reading all 28 pages of that thread to attempt to decode the recipe and methods. I’ve got a 1/2 belly slab in the freezer that needs a purpose. I already searched for turkey breasts this AM. One of my fave Salt Lick BBQ joints meals is their smoked turkey sammie. I already made their sauce so now I’m deep in this new rabbit hole.

And you give me more credit that I deserve. I’m just a home cook hack who’s a little crazy when he cooks. Well, maybe a lot crazy 😜.

I will graciously say thank you. Thank You 🙏

Now I’m reading all 28 pages of that thread to attempt to decode the recipe and methods. I’ve got a 1/2 belly slab in the freezer that needs a purpose. I already searched for turkey breasts this AM. One of my fave Salt Lick BBQ joints meals is their smoked turkey sammie. I already made their sauce so now I’m deep in this new rabbit hole.

And you give me more credit that I deserve. I’m just a home cook hack who’s a little crazy when he cooks. Well, maybe a lot crazy 😜.

I will graciously say thank you. Thank You 🙏
Whether you use Bob's "easy" method with Tender Quick, dry cure with cure #1 (you probably have some), or wet cure in a brine, you really should use that belly you have for bacon......I mean, if you're making lox.... 🤣

Whether you use Bob's "easy" method with Tender Quick, dry cure with cure #1 (you probably have some), or wet cure in a brine, you really should use that belly you have for bacon......I mean, if you're making lox.... 🤣
Truth be told, I’ve never had a pork product on a bagel for fear of lightening striking me right then and there. The lox is a simple pickling salt dry rub cure, and it’s 24 hours only. Lox is so easy compared to this bacon thesis I’m reading; as I’m on page 19 now. From what I’ve read, making bacon can be condensed into one simple post with the deets listed.

I’ll be doing my smoke today as I was exhausted last evening from a very busy week of work. Work always seems to take away my personal fun time. Hmmm.

Truth be told, I’ve never had a pork product on a bagel for fear of lightening striking me right then and there. The lox is a simple pickling salt dry rub cure, and it’s 24 hours only. Lox is so easy compared to this bacon thesis I’m reading; as I’m on page 19 now. From what I’ve read, making bacon can be condensed into one simple post with the deets listed.

I’ll be doing my smoke today as I was exhausted last evening from a very busy week of work. Work always seems to take away my personal fun time. Hmmm.
Mix dry cure based on weight of pork, pork in bag mixed well with cure, pork in fridge. Flip once a day (if you remember) for 7-10 days. Remove, rinse, let air dry to form pellicle (or don't), smoke @ 180-200F until 155F internal. Cool, slice, fry, eat.

Back