Bison Tri-Tip

John Sully

TVWBB Fan
I just ordered a Bison Tri-Tip, about 2.5 lbs, hoping it will be delivered on Friday. The plan is to do it over charcoal, reverse sear. Does anyone have experience grilling Bison ? I can use all the help I can get. Thanks.

Wow, Bison Tri-Tip, how cool. Bison is very lean beast, I would probably attack the TT with a nice reverse sear with Montreal Steak Seasoning (my go to, LOL) I'd cook it to about 115 and then sear it 3 to 4 minutes each side. If you have a CI skillet, have it over the coals the whole time and then drop the TT in once it hits 115

Take some pictures and post that bad boy

Yes basically it cooks like VERY lean beef iow FAAAAAST It's also quite tasty. Oh and keep it VERY rare. It will over cook before you can say "oh $hit". It's like wild salmon. Turn your back for a second and it goes from treat to trash can.
Also I would forego heavy handed seasonings (like the afore mentioned Montreal Steak). In my experience given the nice rich taste of bison why hide it under all that seasoning taste. A very simple S&P with light on the P is perfect for bison in my experience with it. Hell with any "quality" beef. Only time I go "heavy" is if it's cheap not so good beef. I don't buy that anymore though. Life is too short :D

I agree with LMichaels. I use SPG, cook at 200 to 225 until IT reaches 130. Rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile get your coals real hot. Reverse sear the meat. Serve.

I don't even use garlic powder. On good beef (or bison) I see no need for anything beyond S&P unless I am cooking a recipe where the beef is not the "star". If beef is the co-star than sure I will use other ingredients.

I picked up a vacuum bagger and have a tri tip in the freezer, maybe I will borrow my brothers Sous Vide unit and try that again. I liked the last one I did that way, some crushed garlic, a rosemary sprig four or five hours at 115, ripping hot coals. Nice lazy Sunday dinner, methinks.

Its been a while since I've had bison but I think I'd pull it off at 120F IT and then finish with a very quick reverse sear, maybe even brush it with a touch of oil or butter before the sear.

SPG sounds perfect to me.

please post pics !

Thank you for all the great advice !! Hopefully a Saturday or Sunday cook. I will post pictures, good or bad

Please post pics! As others have said, it's very lean - treat it like beef, but take it a few degrees lower than you'd normally take beef.

Where did you procure this piece of meat?

On that topic, what scotch or whiskey would go with bison !!
I think either. I know on occasion I have been known to sit down to steak dinner with a nice Scotch or a nice bourbon. Something kinda satisfying on how the flavor of a nice whiskey compliments the smokiness of a perfectly grilled hunk o beef

James and Jim, I tip my hat! Excellent choices both! I need to replace some stock for my new John Wayne decanter! Either of those would be good. I have Makers Mark 46 Cask strength waiting for a delayed Christmas visitor, won’t crack that until he comes.

Back