Bison Tri-Tip

Ok, the bison tri tip was a success. Got it trimmed up and used a level teaspoon of kosher salt to dry brine for about 4 hours. Took it out of the fridge put some EVO and fresh ground black pepper on it and let it sit on the counter about 45 minutes while the Smokefire warmed up.
Cooked for and hour and 15 minutes at 250, pulled it off, cranked the heat up to 450 and reverse seared for 4-5 minutes per side. I pulled it 120 and let it rest for 10 minutes.
The flavor was incredible, the meat has a slightly different texture than beef. It was sooo tender and juicy. My wife was skeptical but she went back for 3rd's.

20220115_173905.jpg20220116_112342.jpg20220116_155927.jpg

I think you did that as perfect as possible.

And I like well done. So that means there was no better way to do it. Not really sure what would happen if cooked more.

Bison is really wonderful stuff. Very hard to find though. However, when I do I do buy it. To my taste it's like beef "amped up" to the next level. Actually more in the realm of if you find grass fed beef. That profile even more so. Treated correctly it's also not "tough" though does require just a tad more attention than regular beef. Similar to the difference Alaskan Sockeye salmon is compared to "Atlantic" salmon especially if it's been farm raised.
Bison is also arguably far healthier than regular beef as well. As it has excellent source of Omega 3 fats as well. Hats off to a nice looking dinner!

Thank you ! The only thing I forgot was the whiskey, my sons good friend has a craft brewery, Destination Unknown Brewing Co. (DUBCO) and when he runs new batches he is kind enough to drop off some free samples.

This is a place not far from where we live. They're totally organic and grow every grain they distill and is supposedly quite good. We bought a bottle of their bourbon for our sin in law for Xmas but issues have come up and we still have not seen them for the holidays yet.....................go figure

This is a place not far from where we live. They're totally organic and grow every grain they distill and is supposedly quite good. We bought a bottle of their bourbon for our sin in law for Xmas but issues have come up and we still have not seen them for the holidays yet.....................go figure
I just checked their website, they don't ship to NY, but will to NJ. I have a friend in NJ but not sure I trust him

Back