Binder (before or after) applying rubs or Use No Binder

I’m the one that has to clean up so, I don’t have to endure any grief about how big a mess I’ve made except for the muttering under my breath when I find an unidentifiable smear of “something” on the side of the cabinets or the floor! Im really glad to have a floor steamer!

I use mustard on pork and Worcestershire on beef it just feels right.

On my first briskets, about 20 years ago, I used Daddy Hinkles, its a combo of marinade / rub made here in Oklahoma. It was recommended by a meat market that was my local source for barbecue. The marinade was mostly worcestershire. We used it like a binder. I've thought about trying it again.

uSBk4bH.png

Going a little different way from most of you, I often first mix up some olive oil with my seasoning/spices to make a thin paste - pretty watery. Then I'll go to town on the protein getting the mixture coated everywhere. I'll keep slathering in on, flipping etc until ready to go to the grill. I find the oil really helps even out the spices and get's into every nook and cranny etc. Anything left over I slowly drizzle or brush on top as it's cooking in the early stages.

On my first briskets, about 20 years ago, I used Daddy Hinkles, its a combo of marinade / rub made here in Oklahoma. It was recommended by a meat market that was my local source for barbecue. The marinade was mostly worcestershire. We used it like a binder. I've thought about trying it again.

uSBk4bH.png
I used to see Daddy Hinkle's around here but haven't used it in many years...maybe I should try it again, too.

It’s nice to see how memories get jogged here, something from the past pops up in a thread and it makes me think of things my Dad used to do or I used to do and have gotten way from. Like a giant stuffed burger, I haven’t done one of those in twenty years! Maybe more!

I learned about putting yellow mustard on pork shoulders (must be French’s) from my dad. Of course, we didn’t know why we did it, we just always liked the flavor of the bark. Now, I put a little less on there, but still like some kind of binder before cooking.

I don’t consider it a binder, but when I do wings, I give them a spritz of cooking spray after seasoning and before putting on cooker.

Margarine does not happen in my house, my Mom was a Wisconsin born girl and she told stories about how it was “Illegal” when she was young! We did use it when I was really little but, I have learned that unsalted butter is superior. At least in my opinion. A simple stream of melted butter as the chicken spins makes for a pretty end product!

When I feel like doing something completely different I'll use some Hellman's mayo as a slather.
Mostly on country style ribs and chicken.

I remember when coloured margarine was illegal in Canada and probably in USA as well the the only way it could be sold was uncoloured because of the strong resistance from the dairy farmers ,taking away from their butter sales. In Canada they got around it by selling the plain margarine with a red coloured breakable dye in the middle of a plastic bag. When I went shopping with my parents my job was to squeeze the margarine in the back seat of the car on the way home from the grocery store. I would break the red dye open and squeeze the bag continuously until the white margarine had turned to the yellow colour of butter . I am 71 so that was a few years ago, but it was kind of like a science experiment when you are a 4-5 year old kid.

Last edited:
I really favor Tx or Memphis style rubs. I like to use binders so the seasonings are a little less likely to come off "during handling". Using laytex gloves helps a lot with that too. I'd like to see the bark comparison with mustard on pork butt or ribs vs no mustard. It seems like the solids in the mustard would add a bit. I agree with others who say that mustard doesn't really add flavor.

LOL on the parkay. My mom used to buy that stuff, and my family growing up used it instead of butter all the time. It will make your food taste good but why use it when butter is easy to come by and has ingredients that you can understand? Then you see the guys putting it all over their ribs/in the foil packs with a whole buncha brown sugar - can you even taste the pork or the rub/seasonings and smoke when you do it that way?

I watched Harry Soo make a flaming chicken a few months back. He put all sorts of stuff on that bird, and then poured some rum on it and lit it on fire.... I thought that would be fun to try. He used some Chamoy marinade which is popular in Mexico, so I went to a specialty store and found it. That bottle WAS LOADED with all sorts of chemicals, so I didn't buy it, it's a fun video, and I still like Harry and watch his videos, but just don't plan to use the Chamoy. Here's the video -

I'm not into the organic foods, or any of that kind of thing, but I do like to limit processed foods/ingredients where I can. I think it just makes sense. If you can't pronounce it, should you eat it??

I will smear something on it if what ever I am cooking is too dry to stick, a rub with bigger spices in it needs help as its wasted laying in the bottom of the pan imo , anything with oil or a wet form of sugar works but the sugar will get black on long cooks. The eyes can make food not taste like you want it too lol , no set rule of thumb on this or any other method, pick a direction and work on that till it makes you happy if not go a different direction , life's to short to not try new things

Back