Binder (before or after) applying rubs or Use No Binder

BruceS

TVWBB Member
What is everyone take on the use of binders before or after applying rubs? I have read that some people apply rubs without binders
and some people apply binders(mustard) after applying rubs?

The idea is to put a slather on before so the rub will stick. It's totally unnecessary. I would think putting it on afterward would ruin the appearance of the rub so that makes no sense to me. I do use mustard as a binder on pork. I can never taste it but I just like doing it. Sometimes I don't bother. It doesn't really matter. Some of the things we do are just for our own enjoyment and don't necessarily reflect in the final product. That's ok.

In Aaron Franklin's Master Class, he uses mustard on all the meats. But there's probably reasons for that beyond wanting the rub to stick, like getting a better coat of rub because he's so detail oriented, and not wasting seasoning.

When he seasons a brisket and is putting SP on the sides of the brisket, he puts his hand along the side the brisket and puts the SP in the palm of his hand and then pats it on to the side of the brisket. He says he does not want to waste expensive 16 mesh black pepper. And in his environment of smoking 110 or so briskets per day, every little bit adds up.

I don't use that much rub, but I hate to wash rub out of the sheet pan or off the cutting board where I seasoned meat. I want to use it all.

And I seldom watch any YT vids where a binder is NOT used, whether its barbecue or grilling steak.

I agree with Lynn that some sort of schmazz on the meat makes it easier to get a nice even coat of rub -- especially a thick coat. Last Saturday, I did a pork butt for a Super Bowl party and since I was running low on yellow mustard, I used spicy brown mustard. I also mixed my rub with no sugar (for the keto guests). The result was very good. I don't know if it was the lack or sugar or the grainy brown mustard, but it was definitely different -- and better.

Jeff

I've never used a binder.... and I've also started to dial back how much I use, I found that I was overpowering the meat with the rub. That's not what I'm interested in, I want to taste the meat, not just the spices on it.
You know, I use less than I used to as well. And I’ve gone simpler, especially with brisket...I’ve simplified to a 50/50 salt and pepper rub on that and I got the best reaction from the last guests.....how long ago was that....?

You know, I use less than I used to as well. And I’ve gone simpler, especially with brisket...I’ve simplified to a 50/50 salt and pepper rub on that and I got the best reaction from the last guests.....how long ago was that....?

Soooo, you've discovered central Texas brisket ?

Never used a binder or slather, I just dampen the meat with water and the rub sticks fine. I don't care for a heavy rub

Back