Best way to pull pork

Steven Tree

My family (not to mention neighbors, friends, passerby, etc.) all love pulled pork so I end up making it a lot but pulling it with forks is become tedious. I have seen advertised some large wolverine claw type implements that claim to make pulling pork a breeze. Has anyone used these or have any suggestions for easily pulling pork?

I prefer to pull it by hand because I like the "chunkier" consistency. My family prefers the more shredded type of pulled pork so I usually use something like these. They make pretty quick work of a butt.

I put on a pair of cotton gloves with a pair of nitrile gloves over those. Cotton insulates against the heat and nitrile is moisture proof. I like pulling by hand because I like to get any and all nasty's out when I pull the pork. A little fat doesn't bother me, but anything else has to go. I also use a knife to cut the meat down so I don't have any real long strands of meat. I could pull the strands to make them smaller, but I like a knife. When I'm done, it's a little more chunky than shredded.

I put on a pair of cotton gloves with a pair of nitrile gloves over those. Cotton insulates against the heat and nitrile is moisture proof. I like pulling by hand because I like to get any and all nasty's out when I pull the pork. A little fat doesn't bother me, but anything else has to go.

+++++1 here!

I use the claws because they came 'free' when I bought a pair of those orange silicone gloves on Amazon. They work really well, but I too want to try the Kitchen Aid method.

Here is how one of the masters pulls 30 pounds in like one minute. I have the claws but don't use them because I don't like it to look like angel hair pasta but of course my wife does. Why is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj8M6KOkyw8

I pull by hand when it's cool enough into thumb size pieces and then mist with apple juice and add more rub to get the flavor I am looking for. Play around and keep cooking!

I use the "Bear paws" works great. If you really go at it you can shread a butt in about a minute. I'll usually pick through it and get out a lot of the fat and junk so it takes longer. Way better then using forks!

I started with forks, but it does get old when you have 2 or 4 butts to pull. Got a pair of insulated BBQ gloves suggested by someone on here, and I've never looked back.

Used them yesterday to pull a butt. As someone mentioned, this lets you better control the size of the pieces. It also allows me to remove any pieces of fat that are still in there.

Back