Best Cooking Week of the Year

Matthew Turner

TVWBB Member
The 9 or so days of Christmas and New Years are some of the best of the year culinarily speaking. There are usually plentiful sales on various proteins and many markets have upped the game on their pre-packaged provisions. The week isn't over but I wanted to share a few of my cooks. Unfortunately, the Wisconsin weather hasn't cooperated enough for consistent grill usage but cast iron and black steal pans produce a great meal as well.

First, porterhouse cut bone-in pork chops with whole-grain mustard pan sauce and a citrus Brussels sprouts salad.IMG_1309.jpegIMG_1308.jpeg

Next, Christmas Day ribeye steak with cremini mushrooms and brown butter-sage root vegetables.
IMG_1296.jpeg

IMG_1292.jpegIMG_1293.jpeg

Christmas morning buttermilk biscuits.
IMG_1290.jpeg

And, finally for now, Christmas Eve pizza.
IMG_1289.jpeg

The 9 or so days of Christmas and New Years are some of the best of the year culinarily speaking. There are usually plentiful sales on various proteins and many markets have upped the game on their pre-packaged provisions. The week isn't over but I wanted to share a few of my cooks. Unfortunately, the Wisconsin weather hasn't cooperated enough for consistent grill usage but cast iron and black steal pans produce a great meal as well.

First, porterhouse cut bone-in pork chops with whole-grain mustard pan sauce and a citrus Brussels sprouts salad.View attachment 42558View attachment 42559

Next, Christmas Day ribeye steak with cremini mushrooms and brown butter-sage root vegetables.
View attachment 42560

View attachment 42561View attachment 42562

Christmas morning buttermilk biscuits.
View attachment 42563

And, finally for now, Christmas Eve pizza.
View attachment 42564
You're a big help for those of us trying to shed the pounds we added over the holidays.

Man, that grub looks good!

Well, damn, Mr. Turner! Some seriously fine looking grub you turned out for the holiday. Only leaves me with one question....... what do you have planned for NYE and NYD??? You've gotta back up those Xmas eats with some good NY grub!! :)

Rich

Well, damn, Mr. Turner! Some seriously fine looking grub you turned out for the holiday. Only leaves me with one question....... what do you have planned for NYE and NYD??? You've gotta back up those Xmas eats with some good NY grub!! :)

Rich
I want to do lamb shank for NYD but I'm having trouble sourcing it. Plenty of lamb chops and leg of lamb but lamb shanks are harder to come by here.

Very nice looking meals there. We don't have quite the sever winters that you have but I also retreat to my cast iron and carbon steel skillets along with my instant pot and slow cookers in the winter. That way I stay nice and warn.

Very nice looking meals there. We don't have quite the sever winters that you have but I also retreat to my cast iron and carbon steel skillets along with my instant pot and slow cookers in the winter. That way I stay nice and warn.
Thanks. I'm not on the insta-pot bandwagon yet but soon. We use the slow cooker a lot for chili's and stews, occasionally whole proteins.

Back