Beginner's bread

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
Inspired by several on this forum, I'm interested in developing a routine for some nice pizza. A few tries were scrapped because of my inability to turn-in an edible dough. With one recent attempt I'm certain I could have used it to seal a leaky radiator. So for the immediate I'm simply experimenting by trying to make bread since I see works of art by Cliff and others. To you experienced folks this will look very basic but for me it was a milestone today and while still warm with some Kerrygold it was yummy! :)

20200802_172149.jpg

I've never tried it without using a bread pan. Yours looks great on the outside, hows the inside?

Congrates that loaf looks great. I used to make bread at least once every two weeks or so. Haven't made any in over a year. And here I sit on my butt all day doing nothing in my self imposed house arrest.
Going to drag out a couple of CI Dutch ovens and make me some bread 100+ degrees outside or not, going to give the A/C a workout.

Inspired by several on this forum, I'm interested in developing a routine for some nice pizza. A few tries were scrapped because of my inability to turn-in an edible dough. With one recent attempt I'm certain I could have used it to seal a leaky radiator. So for the immediate I'm simply experimenting by trying to make bread since I see works of art by Cliff and others. To you experienced folks this will look very basic but for me it was a milestone today and while still warm with some Kerrygold it was yummy! :)

View attachment 10841
Looks good to me. Just keep doing loaf after loaf you will learn in no time.

A recipe from Floyd at The fresh loaf- A killer basic tasty bread- Time = tasty IMO

My Pain Sur Poolish (Daily Bread)
Makes 2 loaves
Poolish
1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
Final Dough
1 pound flour
10-12 ounces water
1 teaspoon instant yeast
2 teaspoons salt
all of the poolish
Combine the ingredients for the poolish in a small bowl the night before baking. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave the poolish out at room temperature overnight.

The next day, prepare the final dough, either by using the autolyse method of flour and water first then the rest of the ingredients with minimal mixing or by combining them all and mixing until you have decent gluten development (8 to 10 minutes).

I typically fold the dough once an hour twice during primary fermentation, then shape the loaves and give them a longer final rise, typically around 90 minutes. Meanwhile, my oven and baking stone are preheating as hot as they can safely go.

Baking, with steam, takes me 20 minutes, 5 minutes or so at maximum oven temperature, the remainder at 450-475. I rotate the loaves once half way through the baking.

I do not own a dutch oven, how big is yours?
WHAT? You gotta' get one. dutch oven.jpgThere are lots of options if money is no object, but if you want value for money, this one is hard to beat. You can cook in the lid when you need/want a low sided pan.

Also if money is a consideration check the used stuff on let go and craigslist. I just picked up an old oval enameled one for 40 bucks.

Back