Beer brats

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
Do you guys enjoy beer brats as much as I do? Of course, you're left with what to do with the beer that's left, because it doesn't take much in the pan. I do it the way Dr BBQ does, and he's the expert on things like this. ;-)

Brown 'em, and then put 'em in the pan with your softened onions and some beer. Cook a little longer and then put on a toasted bun with some mustard. Gotta love 'em!

Last edited:
We do this all the time with brats, Dave. Keeps the brats hydrated while the wife and I hydrate with all the rest of the beer!:cool:

We like a mix of beer, butter, onions and peppers. Then lay the onions and peppers on the brat in the bun. Tasty eats for sure.

Here is a pic of some hydrating on my mini.

Ed, I'll have to try some peppers next time! Looks really good! I like a dab of Zatarain's creole mustard on them with a toasted bun. Yum.

Love beer brats!!! I just noticed the store that I get my brats at is now selling them in little aluminum trays, perfect for doing beer brats. Wanted to get some but had other plans for dinner, so I'll do them some other night.

Love beer brats!!! I just noticed the store that I get my brats at is now selling them in little aluminum trays, perfect for doing beer brats. Wanted to get some but had other plans for dinner, so I'll do them some other night.
What a good idea! I haven't tried brats like this..........yet.

Beer brats are good. Didn't know what they were until my wifecooked brats one night while we were dating.
Smoked Brat are good to. I usually smoke brats or sausage towards the end of smoking a pork butt or brisket. Just like them the next day sliced cold.

Smoked brats is something I've been wanting to try.

How have you not!? They're real good, develop a nice smoke ring.... I bet you could even do a mix in a beer bath (and all the peppers/onion or kraut) on your smoker.

I used to do them a lot, not so much lately. One way I can tell when they're done is when the juices are visibly boiling in the skin......let them go a little more and they'll pop/squirt, and look like pruned (wrinkled from too long in water) fingers,,,,, no prob, just as good, but it's a reliable gauge for me.

Figure a little over 45 minutes on the top grate of your WSM. I've always taken my time w/ brats.

How have you not!? They're real good, develop a nice smoke ring.... I bet you could even do a mix in a beer bath (and all the peppers/onion or kraut) on your smoker.

I used to do them a lot, not so much lately. One way I can tell when they're done is when the juices are visibly boiling in the skin......let them go a little more and they'll pop/squirt, and look like pruned (wrinkled from too long in water) fingers,,,,, no prob, just as good, but it's a reliable gauge for me.

Figure a little over 45 minutes on the top grate of your WSM. I've always taken my time w/ brats.

Thanks, Clint. Honestly, I've smoked very little sausage, primarily because the Missus isn't a big fan of it for some strange reason. She even takes the sausage off of her loaded slice of pizza so I can have extra on mine. She likes beer brats, but it's always the same thing everytime I suggest them: "Do you know how much fat those things have in them?!"

I do mine the opposite way, beer bath first then throw on the grill to brown up. I also don't like mine on a bun either, just stab the middle with a fork and dip in mustard or ketchup and bite off hunks as i go :)

Interesting that you leave them uncovered. I don't know why, but I (just instinctively?) cover mine with aluminum foil. Looks fantastic!

Back