Beef prices!!!

We have a unique Albertson’s in Meridian, Idaho, an affluent Boise suburb, called Albertson’s Market Street. It has a wine and beer section bigger than most grocery stores with on-site wine and beer stewarts, a full bar for on-site sit down drinking, a deli section where you can get the regular + enhanced Albertson’s deli stuff, but also restaurant quality cooked on-site Chinese, Mexican, Pizza, Sushi, Gryo’s, Poutine and a pretty decent Bbq and smoked meat section along with a sausage shop, Chocolatier, Gelato, oyster bar, exotic meats, a fresh popcorn kiosk and huge international section. I’m glad I don’t live too close (9 miles), but I still manage to get there every couple weeks. I pass 4 other “regular” Albertson’s to get there.

Last edited:
I can only eat so much pork and chicken so I pay up for the Costco filets for 22 a pound or whatever they are cause I like filets a pack for 45 or 46 bucks try to find the thickest ones I can get so since just the wife and myself we can get 2 meals out of it. So 22 bucks or whatever still cheaper than a restaurant and I am drinkin my Josh Cab for under 11 bucks a bottle when the last restaurant I was in charged that for a glass so it is what it is. I am retired worked hard all my life not gonna stop eating good steak cause of the price but my birthday was this month wife asked what I wanted and Alaska King Crab was the answer did it for her in Feb.

Paid 28 bucks a pound in Kroger at that time she went there 45 bucks a pound even I told her to forget it had to settle for large jumbo shrimp and large scallops blackend of course in a pasta chipotle cream sauce she makes over pasta. :)

Edit: The cast iron pan is the only way to do the shrimp and scallops blackened said this before her grandmother gave her that pan which is probably 70 years old not allowed to touch it meaning clean it which is fine with me.

Don't know if this will apply anywhere else, but Meijer today had packer brisket for $3.99/lb. I didn't check the grade. Probably choice. They had quite a few in the case.

I saw that Jay, if I didn’t have two in the freezer I’d get right on that! I also notice that “Certified Angus” does not carry any USDA grade stamp or mention. Does that strike anyone else as a little odd? There has to be some sort of inspecation somewhere but they never say “choice” or anything else as far as I’ve ever seen.

I just looked at a skirt steak at Wegman's for $29.99/lb. No, I didn't buy. Hanger steak was $22.99. We've gone from bad to worse.

I also notice that “Certified Angus” does not carry any USDA grade stamp or mention. Does that strike anyone else as a little odd? There has to be some sort of inspecation somewhere but they never say “choice” or anything else as far as I’ve ever seen.
They have to pay for the meat to be graded. I can't imagine it costs that much but some places skip it to keep costs down. Omaha Steaks doesn't grade any of their beef. You have to take their word that it's just like prime.

I don't know how much there really is to the "Certified Angus" thing, but when I was in California Carl's Jr. had a BBQ bacon cheeseburger that was available with their regular meat and also with "Certified Angus" beef at a higher price. To my taste buds there was a significant taste difference between the two. Basically, the "Certified Angus" tasted like beef rather than cardboard like the regular one.

To be honest, I am really, really underwhelmed with the quality of beef from Omaha Steaks, I’ve never had a filet that ever came close to the thickness of what they advertise. The things are maybe 3/4” thick not the (desirable) 11/2” which is always the ones shown in the major ads. I can get a better piece of beef from Costco. And it’s not frozen to boot!

To be honest, I am really, really underwhelmed with the quality of beef from Omaha Steaks, I’ve never had a filet that ever came close to the thickness of what they advertise. The things are maybe 3/4” thick not the (desirable) 11/2” which is always the ones shown in the major ads. I can get a better piece of beef from Costco. And it’s not frozen to boot!
Me as well. Better beef at Costco

Maybe I should stop when I take the grandson to his orthodontist appointment today?
No, I’d end up dropping $200 like I did the last time I was going in for “a couple of things”. Maybe next week. Yeah, then I can do a “mixed grill” for family dinner on Saturday. Choucroute Garni this week!

I have no idea how they manage to stay in business, TBH.

Speaking of Omaha Steaks.. I was once sent one of those "special" gift packs. This is the sirloin steak you get. Nothing like an appetizer before your steak. The best thing from them was the desserts and the potatoes. Those shots you see on TV must be really close and on small plates.
17620462_10211302532913194_4691876135019922820_o.jpg

Last edited:
The mention of them was not intended to be an endorsement. Thirty years ago they used to be pretty good. I had a small disagreement with a friend about quality beef so we did a blind tasting of a supermarket choice filet, an Omaha filet, and a local specialty meat market prime filet. Nobody could tell the Omaha from the local prime and everyone could easily tell the choice from the other two. But that was many years ago.

I too got one of those special gift packs and got the appetizer sized sirloins. I thought it was a joke. OTOH, the apple tarts were outstanding. I should add there was a lot of other stuff in the package, not just the tiny sirloins. My biggest issue would be just what you said -- the steaks are way too thin. It's very difficult to sear the outside without seriously overcooking the inside.

Had a similar experience with Kansas City Steaks last year. We were sent a gift box and the thin steaks were no better than Kroger's. The only way to cook them was Sous Vide, refrigerate, and 30 seconds over coals with 2 flips.

The burgers and loaded potatoes that came with them were quite good.

Agree about the Omaha steaks. Our son sent us a variety pack from Omaha for Christmas, wasn't impressed at all. The best part of it was the foam container it came in, I use that to rest my briskets and such after smoking them. That way my good cooler doesn't stink like smoke.
I have had up to three of their foam coolers for just such purposes! Down to two right now, sent home leftovers in one a while back.

Back