Beef cheek tacos.

That looks delicious Tim. I don't think I've ever had beef cheeks. I did a little reading and after looking at yours, I'd like to give them a try. Like your corn dish also.

Thanks Guys!
The corn was easy, just some new to me Mexican street corn from Sam's Club.
The cheeks also came from Sam's so it was a double hit. I smoked them and grilled them before and braised, but this was the first time I cooked solely in the oven and it was one of the best things I ever ate.
If any one is interested I'll post a link to the recipe I followed.:)

Tim

Thanks Guys!
The corn was easy, just some new to me Mexican street corn from Sam's Club.
The cheeks also came from Sam's so it was a double hit. I smoked them and grilled them before and braised, but this was the first time I cooked solely in the oven and it was one of the best things I ever ate.
If any one is interested I'll post a link to the recipe I followed.:)

Tim
I'll take the beef cheek recipe thanks

I've tried " cabeza " street tacos at my fav Mexican restaurant here in OKC Tacos Don Nachos. They call the meat cabeza but I think its beef cheeks and it was very good. Cabeza is meat from the cow head and in Mexico they present the entire head and customer chooses the meat they want. This place also offers lengua, the beef tongue, as a taco or burrito meat , along with tripitas, the intestine. I've not yet worked up the stomach for tripitas.

Yours looks a lot like the cabeza I was served, and yours looks good.

Sadly the best place I ever had beef cheeks (Barbacoa) has closed its doors, the place was “SuCasa” in Fennville, MI. They closed a couple of years ago, I have been searching every new place I find for them, so far, nada!
So, I’m in for your recipe too!

Sorry I'm kinda spacing out lately.
Last time I made them, I, IMO overthunk it.
The recipe I posted was seriously good with only 4 Ingredients.
Beef cheeks are so rich, you really only need simple.:)
Tim

You can darn sure bet I'll be trying your recipe soon Tim. I've found two places in town that carry the beef. Thanks!

Great looking meal, beef cheek tacos are awesome, beef cheek meat is the only true (barbacoa), you can use any beef meat and braise it and call it barbacoa but its not. Tip try some re-fried beans with barbacoa in a taco, you will be in heaven.

Looks good. I always enjoy seeing someone try a meat that is a little different from the usual suspects.

I saw cheeks in Sam's once. If I spot them again, they are mine. A local Mexican-owned taco place serves great cheek tacos, but I have no idea how they cook the meat.

Daniel Vaughn has written about a few Texas places that serve barbacoa/cheek. Here are some with cooking tips.

Vera's is the old school place:

Today, most commercial barbacoa is steamed or done in pressure cookers to comply with health codes. Vera’s time-honored method has been grandfathered in, and some suspect that local politicians simply couldn’t imagine life without their barbacoa tacos. The Vera family’s process calls for the heads to be tightly wrapped in foil and cooked for long hours in earthen pits over mesquite coals; their unpretentious place is the only restaurant in the state still doing it this way.

Mr. Vera suggested Vaughn try T-Ghost BBQ in Weslaco:

Joshua doesn’t use the whole beef head like Vera’s. He seasons beef cheeks with salt and pepper and smokes them with mesquite wood for two to three hours. “I get a nice crust, then wrap them up in traditional banana leaves and foil and let them steam for about eight hours,” he said. The result is silky, tender shredded barbacoa with a nice dose of smoke flavor that survives the steaming portion of the cook. Their barbacoa tacos come topped with cilantro and onion, along with a cup of excellent salsa made with jalapeños and serranos roasted over mesquite

LeRoy & Lewis Barbecue truck in South Austin is experimental and sometimes serves beef cheek sandwich with kimchi and beet barbecue sauce.

This underutilized cut (for now, at least) has all the juiciness of fatty brisket, but more surface area for black pepper lovers. LeRoy smokes then confits them in beef fat. They’re incredibly tender, and perfect alone or on a sandwich paired with beet barbecue sauce and kimchi.

Back