Beautiful Rueben for this Irish guy...

Ryan P.K.

TVWBB Pro
I took your traditional corned beef and turned it into a pastrami. I soak the corned beef in water for 24 hours, and changed the water twice. I made a rub that consisted with 2 tbsp. of whole coriander, 1 tbsp. of whole black pepper, and 1 tbsp. of granulated garlic. Place the pastrami on the smoke @ 265* until it stalled out. the pastrami stalled at 147*. Then wrap in foil until it reach 203*. Then wrap in a towel, and put into a cooler for 1.5 hours. For the sides, my wife made some old fashion potato salad, and I fried up some cabbage with bacon bits and onions.

Dang now that's a delicious looking sanwich. Thanks for explaining the technique I'm gonna try your method and recipe.

Don't lift the lid...

Your pastrami looks amazing. Did you make your own corned beef?

I could use some advice. I'm just now getting into curing. I just finished making my first corned beef by following the recipe on Morton's website (since I used TQ). I am very happy with the flavor. But, it crumbled when I sliced it. If I had to guess, I'd say that I cooked it too long. It was cooked in the crockpot because the recipe called a dutch oven and my dutch oven was too small. And, I didn't want to stray too far from the recipe my first try. I posted questions about it here.

Looking really good!

Never done a pastrami - I think I may have to pick up some clearance corned beef and give it a go.

Back