BBQ Journal?

Dave Alvarado

TVWBB Super Fan
Do any of you guys keep a record of your cooks for future reference? I feel like I'm at the point where I need one--I'm doing a lot of experimenting and I'd like to keep track of what I did and how it turned out.

What do you use?

Keeping a journal or cooking log is a great way to remember what you did that worked well and remember what DID NOT work well! This article I wrote discusses the topic and offers a downloadable log that you can edit using Excel.

Cooking Log

Chris' downloadable log in Excel is excellent! I've used it for a couple of years, and it really helps you keep what works and change what doesn't. I don't always do one these days, especially when I'm doing something that I already have dialed in like I like it. But, when I want to tinker with things, I use it to help me remember how I changed things up and whether I want to keep, discard, or refine it further.

To me consistency is the key especially if your new to grilling or BBQ. Stick with the same charcoal unless you are not satisfied with the results your getting. Stick with the same butcher and cuts of meat until you know them in your sleep. That way you can count on the same results eveytime.

I'll second the value of using a log. I've been using Chris' Excel sheet with a few mods for every cook I've done, and it has proven to be a very helpful resource.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm working on dialing things in. I can cook meat properly, and I can use off-the-shelf stuff. Now I'm working on developing my own rubs, injections, and sauces. That's what the journal is for.

I've got ideas in my head of how I want things to taste. I need to get those tastes out of my head and into my mouth. :)

Back