BBQ/Grilling Cookbooks

Like I said, yes, he did buy ribs, but.........I won't be using Raichlen's book (at least, not today lol). I have a 3" binder full of pork rib recipes that was saying "USE ME, USE ME", so I did. lol We went to the baby back rib section and not too far into it, DH found this recipe using bacon grease and cumin and he went no further. So, here is tonight's dinner. I am going to post the recipe as written, but know that DH has promised me he will cut back on the hot stuff. (sorry about the bottled sauce)

Hot 'n' Spicy Ribs

3 lbs. pork spareribs or baby backs
1/4 cup melted bacon grease
1 TB. ground cumin
1 cup spicy barbecue sauce
1/4 cup orange juice
3 TB. hot sauce
1-1 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

1. Brush the ribs with the melted bacon fat, sprinkle them with the cumin, and refrigerate for 25 minutes.
2. Preheat the grill to medium high (350 to 400F) for direct and indirect heating, putting a water pan under the unheated side of the grill.
3. Grill the ribs over direct heat for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once to brown them nicely.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, orange juice, hot sauce and red pepper flakes.
5. Place the ribs, bone side down, in a double thickness of heavy-duty foil, pour the sauce over the ribs, seal the foil, and place them over the unheated side of the grill for 1 hour. Serves 4

Source: "1,001 Best Grilling Recipes" Rick Browne
Ok, at first I though it was just my taste buds on the blink, but DH agreed with me. We could not detect any bacon flavor and the sauce was pretty blah without the hot stuff. So, it looks like this is a recipe just for those that can take the heat. Oh well, DH did make a pretty good potato salad to go with the ribs. lol

I have had this next cookbook for 13 years, paid 88 cents (plus S&H)/Amazon. On Amazon, new, it is now selling for $63.15. WOW!!!! I am talking about "The Thrill of the Grill" by Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby. Will check it out and see if I can find a few goodies to make this week. Anyone else have this book? Any recommendations?

Has anyone here cooked a whole packer at 300’ and had it done in 5 hours? Just curious as I have company coming soon and don’t want to spend 14 hours on a brisket.

Well guess what? Yep!!!! Change of plans. Won't bore you with details, but any wives out there reading this, you know what I mean.
Miss Tammy Wynette, white courtesy phone. Miss Tammy Wynette, white courtesy phone, please. ;)

For some reason, as soon as I read your post "Stand By Your Man" popped into my head. And back then it seemed like nobody had more "wife songs" than Tammy Wynette.;)

I have had this next cookbook for 13 years, paid 88 cents (plus S&H)/Amazon. On Amazon, new, it is now selling for $63.15. WOW!!!! I am talking about "The Thrill of the Grill" by Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby. Will check it out and see if I can find a few goodies to make this week. Anyone else have this book? Any recommendations?

I think I have found a good one for this weekend. Have a nice piece of Salmon in the freezer, just wondering what to do with it. Checked with DH and he said he is willing to give it a try. (that surprised me. lol)

Grilled Salmon, Lomi Lomi Style
"This is a takeoff of sorts on the Hawaiian luau salmon preparation called lomi lomi. The difference is that in this preparation, the salmon is not salt-cured, but instead is half cooked on the grill before cooking is completed by the acidity of the lime juice."

1 1/2 lb. center-cut salmon filet, in 1 or 2 pieces
2 TB. vegetable oil
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
3/4 cup lime juice (about 6 limes)
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 medium red onion, diced small
3 scallions, diced small
2 TB. chopped parsley
1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar
3 fresh tomatoes, diced small

1. Skin the salmon. Brush the top with vegetable oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and place the salmon top down (the side you skinned up) on a very hot grill. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until brown and crusty.
2. Remove the salmon from the grill. It should be well cooked on one side, but still raw on the other. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
3. Meanwhile, combine all the other ingredients except the tomato in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
4. When the salmon is cool, break it into bite-size pieces and add them to the lime juice mixture, cooked side up. Stir lightly to make sure all pieces are well coated, then cover tightly and refrigerate for 4 to 5 hours.
5. Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and add the chopped tomatoes. You can serve this chilled or at room temperature.

Source: The Thrill of the Grill - Chris Schlesinger & John Willoughby- pub. 1990

I'm getting cold feet about the recipe above. Do you think the lime juice mixture will "cook" the salmon enough so that it won't be like eating "raw" salmon?

I'm getting cold feet about the recipe above. Do you think the lime juice mixture will "cook" the salmon enough so that it won't be like eating "raw" salmon?
That final 4 to 5 hour "session" as it sits in the lime should cook it. Similar to our personal favorite, ceviche.

ADDED : Also, if this particular Salmon is salt water based (vs fresh water), it lessens the chances of any water borne fish issues.

Oh I never thought of that, I was just concerned with the taste. I'll have to check the fish. Thank you Bob!!!!

I think I have found a replacement for the salmon, just need to get some bananas.

Grilled West Indies Spice-Rubbed Chicken (with grilled banana)

SPICE RUB:
3 TB. curry powder
3 TB. ground cumin
2 TB. allspice
3 TB. paprika
2. TB. powdered ginger
1 TB. cayenne pepper
2 TB. salt
2 TB. freshly cracked black pepper

4 boneless chicken breasts, skin on
4 firm bananas, skin on and halved lengthwise
2 TB. vegetable oil
1 TB. soft butter
2 TB. molasses
Lime halves for garnish

1. Mix all of the spices together well, rub this mixture over both sides of each chicken breast, cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
2. Over a medium fire, grill the breasts skin side down for 7 to 8 minutes, until well browned and heavily crusted. Turn them and grill an additional 10 minutes. Check for doneness by nicking the largest breast at the fattest point. The meat should be fully opaque with no traces of red. Remove the chicken from the grill.
3. Rub the banana halves with vegetable oil and place them on the grill, flat side down. Grill them for about 2 minutes, or until the flat sides are slightly golden in color. Flip them and grill for an additional 2 minutes.
4. Remove the banana halves from the grill. Mix the butter and molasses together and brush over the bananas. Serve the chicken breasts and banana halves together, sprinkle with a little lime juice. Makes 4 servings

Source: "Thrill of the Grill" - Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby - 1990

WEBER'S BIG BOOK OF GRILLING
Mango Tango Pork Chops
Serves: 6
Total Calories: 284
Ingredients
FOR THE MARINADE:
1 cup mango juice
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons minced shallots
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons hot garlic chili sauce (Sriracha)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

6 bone-in pork chops, about 3/4-inch thick each
Directions:
TO MAKE THE MARINADE: In a medium bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients.

Place the pork chops in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours, turning occasionally.

Remove the chops from the bag, reserving the marinade. Allow the chops to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil 1 full minute. Remove from the heat.

Grill the chops over Direct Medium heat until the juices run clear and the meat is firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes, turning and basting with the marinade once halfway through grilling time. Serve warm.

From Weber’s Big Book of Grilling. Copyright © 2001

I found this too late for tonight, we are having left over pulled pork sandwiches, pork again Fri. night , so hopefully sometime next week. I will check the chicken section of the cookbook, maybe I can find something for tomorrow night. lol

Last edited:
WEBER'S BIG BOOK OF GRILLING
Mango Tango Pork Chops
Serves: 6
Total Calories: 284
Ingredients
FOR THE MARINADE:
1 cup mango juice
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons minced shallots
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons hot garlic chili sauce (Sriracha)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

6 bone-in pork chops, about 3/4-inch thick each
Directions:
TO MAKE THE MARINADE: In a medium bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients.

Place the pork chops in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours, turning occasionally.

Remove the chops from the bag, reserving the marinade. Allow the chops to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil 1 full minute. Remove from the heat.

Grill the chops over Direct Medium heat until the juices run clear and the meat is firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes, turning and basting with the marinade once halfway through grilling time. Serve warm.

From Weber’s Big Book of Grilling. Copyright © 2001

I found this too late for tonight, we are having left over pulled pork sandwiches, pork again Fri. night , so hopefully sometime next week. I will check the chicken section of the cookbook, maybe I can find something for tomorrow night. lol
Couldn't wait. Decided yesterday to have it with CHICKEN THIGHS for dinner. DH boiled down the marinade and we used it for dipping the chickens and also put some over rice. DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!

I got the new Joy for Fathers day. I still have my original 25yr old, but this is a nice upgrade.
One of the best cook books IMO.

Tim

Back