Barbecue myth or truth ?

De gustibus non est disputandum - In matters of taste, there can be no disputes

My opinion...

Great brisket like Aaron Franklin's doesn't need sauce.

A perfect beef rib like Wayne Mueller's doesn't need sauce.

I can go either way with chicken--with or without sauce.

Any pork rib benefits for a light application of sauce at the end. Not a big fan of dry ribs.

Pork butt benefits from something mixed in at the end to add moisture and perhaps cut the fattiness of the meat.

Sauce on the side, I'm diabetic but a little never hurts, sorta like the old saying sometimes you feel like a nut sometimes you don't :coolkettle: , a pulled pork sandwich begs for sauce of some kind , a great rib fresh off the smoker rarely needs it. A lot of times you taste a sauce before its cooked onto the meat and like it but when hit with heat and smoke the flavor will change and not always for the good imo. Having it on the side is a better option to me. When I do wings its a variety of sauces on the side so everybody can make them to the amount of heat or sweet they like,not everybody wears a size 10.5DD shoe lol

I agree with Chris but lately I’ve been toying with glazes. I really like to lightly glaze pork ribs. I would like to note that sometimes, i’ll Thin bbq sauce (glaze !?!) and paint just a little bit just a few minutes before serving.

When I have people over, I always put out sauce or extra sauce on the side.

I have never been a fan of lots-o-bbq sauce. Make everything tase like sauce....

Before I did my own Q I always used sauce. Now I don't sauce anything. I want to taste the finished product so when I do ribs I finish with half sauced and half dry. I prefer dry ribs. My wife wants sauce on everything Q.

I feel people in different parts of the country eat there BBQ in different ways, like in Texas putting steak sauce on a Grilled steak means it was cooked poorly. But some folks love sauce oozing down there arm as they eat their Brisket,pulled pork or pulled chicken sandwiches, and dip their ribs in regular or spicy sauce.

I feel each to their own as it is there plate not mine and some folks like Spice on everything some do not. I like all different ways but never sauce on my steak......

I agree with Chris.

We cook a lot of chicken so I like to cook it several different ways. Sometimes we sauce it, sometimes we don't and we use different sauces.

De gustibus non est disputandum - In matters of taste, there can be no disputes

My opinion...

Great brisket like Aaron Franklin's doesn't need sauce.

A perfect beef rib like Wayne Mueller's doesn't need sauce.

I can go either way with chicken--with or without sauce.

Any pork rib benefits for a light application of sauce at the end. Not a big fan of dry ribs.

Pork butt benefits from something mixed in at the end to add moisture and perhaps cut the fattiness of the meat.

Just depends
Most people prefer some sauce
Just like most people like to dip french fries in catsup
Or put dressing on a salad

People even like sauces on $$$ steaks. As simple as melted butter, or like A1.

Its not a statement on meat either way, its a statement they like sauce. Dont read too much into it.

I wouldnt try to make a statement that good bbq doesnt need sauce, any more than the corrolary that poor bbq does. Its just something people like and are accustomed too.

I worked in middle east last yr. Apparently they dont use salad dressing there.....makes interesting eating when get salad. Overall...eat way more healthy than americans. Simpler, less sugar and fat and simple cheap carbs. Meat rice vegetables fruit flat bread humus.

In france, they put french fries INSIDE sandwiches. Weirdos. But thats what they like and are accustomed to.

I know, it really kills me when my B-i-L douses a nice ribeye, with Heinz 57, that I just pulled off the grill before he even tastes it. I could maybe handle it if it was A1, but Heinz 57 !?!?!?!?!

I do add back a mixture of, what I call, Pig Jelly* and maybe some Scott's when I'm serving pulled pork as a "finishing sauce."

BD

*Pork drippings put in a container and then into the fridge overnight. Scrape the fat off and, viola, Pig Jelly. You can also use a fat separator if you need some right away.

I used to be strictly a 'no sauce!' guy, but ever since I've tried some sauces from a few smaller-ish companies, I've been blow away by how some pair with smoked meat.

I'll never eat sauce with brisket, though. Horseradish, however... I gotta have horseradish with brisket. So good!

Back