Barbacoa

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I took a chuck roast out of the freezer on Sunday and had intended to do a Bolognese style sauce with it today. Being Taco Tuesday and all, I didn't think that would be appropriate. So I set out in search of Barbacoa recipes. I found this one and decided to run with it (https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/266528/barbacoa-supreme/?page=2). I couldn't bear the thought of browning that poor roast on the stovetop, so I decided to 'Weberize' the recipe. Mixed up a quick rub of kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and oregano and gave it a good rubdown. I then started one basket of lump in the Performer and added a chunk of pecan wood. I then added the chuck on the indirect side. Windy day here, but I was able to keep things around 275 degrees for about an hour with just enough fuel left for a gentle sear at the end. Here's how things have gone so far.

Rubbed down and ready for some smoke:

1589921156022.jpeg

At the turn - things moving along well so far.

1589921193427.jpeg

Almost done! Time for a little sear.

1589921238931.jpeg

And we're finished with step 1.

1589921279023.jpeg

While the chuck was on the grill, I made up the sauce. After a short rest, I cubed it up, and put it in the enameled DO along with it's liquid companions. Here it is all ready to go to step 2.

1589921368136.jpeg

To be continued...

Last edited:
I'm not sure why, but all I was thinking was Tacos Bolognese...... :) I'll keep an eye out for the next installment of photos, Jim. This should turn out nicely!

R

I'm not sure why, but all I was thinking was Tacos Bolognese...... :) I'll keep an eye out for the next installment of photos, Jim. This should turn out nicely!

R
I see no reason for “Tacos Bolognese” not to be a new “fusion” food! The barbacoa sounds pretty good though waiting with drool sliding down the side of my face!

R

That sounds pretty good - just wrap 'em in lasagna noodles instead of tortillas. :D

OK, minimal finishing pics, but here they are.

Shredded and supposed to be back in the oven for 30 minutes. Seemed a tad dry to me, so I added a few splashes of chicken stock.

1589936426708.jpeg

Finished and on your plate with pickled jalapeños and onions, along with some Cotija cheese and cilantro. 8 enthusiastic thumbs up from this family of four.

1589936474746.jpeg

Well done, Jim! Since it's Taco Tuesday, we're having takeout.....from a burger joint! Ooops. :)

R

Looks great Jim, I copied the recipe and will be giving this a try next week.
Quick question about how long in the DO and I'm assuming you did the whole cook on the performer.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Looks great Jim, I copied the recipe and will be giving this a try next week.
Quick question about how long in the DO and I'm assuming you did the whole cook on the performer.
Thanks.

IIRC, the recipe said 6 hours in the DO at 250. I had it on the Performer (whole) at 275 for about an hour, then a little over 2 hrs in the oven at 275. Then I shred it and added a little liquid, followed by another 30 min. Like BBQ, it's done when it's done. Time and temp is just a guide. :D But I think 6 hours is probably significantly longer than necessary.

Hey Jim....I took a closer look at the link you provided and was curious about the heat level with 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce? I like a lot of heat. Will be giving this a try soon. You did a masterful job on this cook!

Looks delicious. You really had me when you topped it with pickled jalapeños and onions, Cotija cheese, and cilantro.

I'm on a pickled red onion kick lately. Made a big container of them and put them on everything from sandwiches to salads.

Like Cliff, I'm curious about the heat level with 4 chipotle peppers in adobo. Those suckers are hot. Maybe the time in the oven milds them out some.

Back