Baffled by problem with Low & Slow

MichaelM

TVWBB Super Fan
I can't figure out where the problem is.... this is the third time I am having this issue.

I am using a DIY Slow-n-Sear that I have used for a few months, in a 22.5 OneTouch kettle. Filled the SnS basket with a three quarter full mini chimney of lit KBB coals. I have HD foil under the cold side to catch drippings and to hopefully channel airflow under the basket. Tonight is two small pork tenderloins.

Top vent is about a pencil width open and bottom vent is about half open. I am shooting for 275F - 300F.

Once I put the lid on, the coals choke and self extinguish.

I open the bottom vent fully.. nothing changes. Ash catcher is empty and I can see the bottom vents are unobstructed. What gives?

The first time this happened it was with a Vortex setup. Bottom and top vents full open with raging hot Cowboy lump coal. As soon as the lid goes on, the coals choke.

The only way I can finish the cook is to put the lid on cracked open. Gotta be a rookie mistake I am making here, but can't for the life of me figure out what's happening. HELP!!!

I think you are chocking the air flow by not having the top vent open enough, I have done a lot of low and slow on my 22 kettle and usually the bottom vent is closed and I control the temperature using the top vent. Hope this helps.

I agree with John. I use a Slow n Sear setup on my Performer regularly (at least 10x/month). I keep the top vent wide open for a while no matter what I'm cooking. After that, I dial it back to halfway for the remainder of the cook.

I would agree with all of you, if not for the fact that after seeing the coals going out, I open both bottom and top vents fully and the problem persists. And, it happened with the Vortex setup where I always leave top and bottom full open...

I thought it might be the Cowboy lump coal, which I bought in a jam, but yesterday it happened with KBB

In describing the issue when using the vortex with intake and exhaust vents fully open you wrote "As soon as the lid goes on, the coals choke." To me, choking would be what occurs when you fully-close your vents and the unit is closed-up and the temp would quickly nosedive, such as from 600f to 100f over a short span of time. Is this what happens, or could it be that once you set your lid in place the coals are fully spent, resulting in a somewhat more gradual decline of temperature?

And when your target is 275f with your DIY SnS how long do you need to maintain that temp? Depending on that time, after dumping 3/4 of a mini chimney you may need to add some unlit coals. Or if you're in NY you might even need to start with more than 3/4.

Beyond that, I'm clueless lol.

In describing the issue when using the vortex with intake and exhaust vents fully open you wrote "As soon as the lid goes on, the coals choke." To me, choking would be what occurs when you fully-close your vents and the unit is closed-up and the temp would quickly nosedive, such as from 600f to 100f over a short span of time. Is this what happens, or could it be that once you set your lid in place the coals are fully spent, resulting in a somewhat more gradual decline of temperature?

And when your target is 275f with your DIY SnS how long do you need to maintain that temp? Depending on that time, after dumping 3/4 of a mini chimney you may need to add some unlit coals. Or if you're in NY you might even need to start with more than 3/4.

Beyond that, I'm clueless lol.

Gotta agree, I have no clue what is happening.

This isn't an issue of spent coals, nor is it time to refuel. These are a fully lit bed of coals that 'take a nose dive' as soon as the lid is placed on, with all vents in the full open position. Leaving the lid cracked will revive the coals.

I thought the foil bed might be issue somehow, so I remove it to no avail.

Wow, that’s really strange, have you tried it without the foil drip catcher? And you say you have the same problem when using a Vortex? All vents full on and the thing dies as soon as you put the lid on?
I had to remind Jethro not to store the coal in the cement pond, maybe that’s a problem?
Just re read that you have removed the foil and it still crashes.

Michael, could you please post a couple of photos of the charcoal configuration? Maybe they'd offer some clues.

Last edited:
Wow, that’s really strange, have you tried it without the foil drip catcher? And you say you have the same problem when using a Vortex? All vents full on and the thing dies as soon as you put the lid on?
I had to remind Jethro not to store the coal in the cement pond, maybe that’s a problem?
Just re read that you have removed the foil and it still crashes.

I'll agree.. it's odd at best. Yes, I pulled out the foil drip catcher and it still crashed. The only thing that would keep it lit was cracking the lid. I had just opened a a new bag of KBB, purchased that afternoon. And the prior cooks were with Cowboy lump coal. Not my first option, but it's what was available and I had Vortex chicken thighs planned for that night.

Michael, could you please post a couple of photos of the charcoal configuration? Maybe they'd offer some clues.

Yes, Brad I can. I had planned to replicate the cook yesterday, but got overwhelmed with the Formula 1 race and got nothing else done. I am fully prepared for some really stupid, and largely embarrassing issue.. maybe a squirrel or possum has taken refuge from the cold in the ash catcher? Who knows..

And a few photos of your DYI SNS inside and out please.

Yes, I can do that. as well. I replicated the Bro-n-Sear seen on YouTube.

I never by Cowboy brand charcoal. I'd just use my gas grill if that's all I had to choose from.

It was desperation. I had Vortex thighs prepped and ready at my wife's request and she specifically asked for them on the kettle.

Are the outside vents (just above the ash catcher) unobstructed?

Lew, I did a walk around. Then removed the ash catcher and emptied what little ash was there. I can see the bottom vents open and sweeping.

The only thing that is coming to mind as I ponder this is the wind. I traditionally set up my LnS with the basket against the back side of the kettle with the cool area closest to me. This time I set up with the coals to the left side. That doesn't sound critical, though I live on the water and it is very windy and for this cook the wind was hitting the hot side and the top vents were to the right with the intention that the wind would pull exhaust out of the downwind top vent sucking heat/smoke across my cook.

When it happened with the Vortex cook the kettle was in the same place in my side yard. Can't remember the wind or top vent configuration.

I'll get some photos. I have my dunce hat ready cause I can't think of anything reasonable...

Made time this morning to re-enact one of the last two cooks that gave me issue..

Can't explain it even after breaking things down. Everything was clear, and unobstructed. Did a test burn (in anticipation of tonight's birthday cook... 2.5" Bone-in Ribeye & four lobster tails) and it went fine. Pictures with notes are here. Not sure if the notes will be visible.

Found no possums nor field mice, nor squirrels.

My BDay.. thank you.

That's a standard chimney. I have the small compact too. Wish there was a better way to measure out lump coal.

Back