Bacon made easy

Well it's not hard for me to compliment a job well done.
Job well done Rolf!
That is some fine, meaty, smokey looking bacon, you nailed it my friend!

Last edited:
OK, I picked up a nice 9 lb belly from my local store on Saturday. Cut up into 3 pieces and applied my MTQ. Sitting in the fridge getting happy!! I am excited for this.

Belly was on the expensive side at $3.99/lb, but was local and only place I know of that even has it. Local (good) farmers market burnt down a few months ago. Could probably get it there, once they rebuild, for a better price....

Derek, Foodport in Milton has it for $2 lb till Thursday. Save more on the meat than it will cost in gas.

It's even "pre-cut" in 3 lb pieces, just for you ;)

Seriously doubt it would be cheaper at St J.

Last edited:
Len, yeah, not sure if St. J will have it nay cheaper either. But will have a look. I work in London, right near the market on Dundas St. Gonna take a run there during my lunch sometime and see what I can find there too.

Bought the pork belly last week and cut the skin off, (Thanks Bob). Cured for seven days. I added a dash of light brown sugar and pepper just prior to smoking.
Done!
Bac1-L.jpg

After my butcher job of cutting it. We fried some up tonight and it was great! I’ll be going back next week for another pork belly.

As Always…. thanks for looking.

Bacon%20002-L.jpg

Bacon%20008-L.jpg

Rolf -- I'm not sure how I missed this first time around. I am reviewing this post in prep for my first bacon attempt. OMG! ^^^That's looks awesome.^^^

Bob -- thanks for taking the mystery out of this for me.

As a side note; my grandfather always left the rind on, sliced it, cooked it, and I recall it being a treat to eat the rind.

OK, I have 3, 3lb. pieces in the fridge and should be done tomorrow, or worst case Sunday. I know I have seen it in this thread, but I can't find it after looking again. How "firm" should the bellies be after curing? Like a medium rare-medium steak feel?

Mine don't seem to have a lot of liquid coming out, but there is indeed some. I know that some may have less than others. Just thought there may be a bit more.

Can't wait to get these on the smoker!!

Derek,
The firmness can vary due to lean/fat ratios.
So if all procedures were followed, you will be good to go.
I like a fairly heavy smoke, about the color of Rolf's above.

One tip, when you fry it, use medium heat since the sugar can burn easier than most store bacon.
Looking forward to your results!

Do you folks think it would be ok to store the pork belly in a ice machine while curing? I have a commercial ice machine at home that I can use for storage instead of taking up space in my fridge.

I read this whole thread a few nights ago, and have been actively hunting for some MTQ. I can't wait to get into this, it would make an awesome christmas gift. But that means I've gotta get going like now!

Welcome to the forum Kris!
Amazon sells MTQ, but it's almost $15 for one 2/lb bag, or six 2/lb bags for $22.
Click here for an eBay seller selling it for $12.66 and free shipping.

I have to assume that the ice machine will be too cold, it needs to cure above freezing.
35F to 39F would be best.
Cut into thirds, a whole side can fit into a fairly small space.
Good luck on your venture!

Second cure/smoke with a belly and it turned out amazing again. Question though, what does everyone do with those leftover chucks or pieces after you slice that just didnt make the good sliced pieces?

e1e5qyOl.jpg

zCwH1F0l.jpg

Second cure/smoke with a belly and it turned out amazing again. Question though, what does everyone do with those leftover chucks or pieces after you slice that just didnt make the good sliced pieces?

I cut them into smaller pieces to be used in quiches and scrambled eggs. They're not throw-aways, however.

Jeff,
I, and I think most folks, cut the side of belly into 3 or 4 pieces, and use food regular Ziploc food bags.
They come in a 2 gallon size.

And what I do is score the hide several times perpendicular to the way I'm ultimately going to slice the bacon. That way it allows the cure to permeate thru the backside as well.

Just ordered the tender quick. I'm getting excited to do my own bacon. Will read this whole thread again.

Bob I must thank you for this post. I am amazed at how easy it really was to cure my bacon and get it prepared for slicing. Thanks for the great info.

Bob I must thank you for this post. I am amazed at how easy it really was to cure my bacon and get it prepared for slicing. Thanks for the great info.

Yeah Bob thanks.
I'm waiting for my tender quick so I can start.

Back