Bacon made easy

Pics of the bacon Robert, or it didn't happen! :p
Sounds like you adjusted just fine, glad it turned out well in the end.
I really like hickory smoke on bacon, apple too, and a combo of both even better.

Pics of the bacon Robert, or it didn't happen! :p

OK.

PICT0779_zpsdzcqnwoi.jpg

PICT0782_zps79thdwsh.jpg

PICT0785_zps9nhvukiy.jpg

Wifey sez I should have used more bacon & also wants a BLT for dinner.

I agree with wifey, more bacon!
That is some really fine looking bacon, BLT, and photos!!
Oh, and you need to toast that bread Robert. :)

Hey Bob, thanks for starting this thread. I like your signature there, says what it's all about.

So.... I just finished bacon batch #3. It came out great!

However, I have a question: is there such a thing as a bacon stall? I have been smoking at 180* & on every cook the temp of the pork belly "hangs" in the 130* neighborhood. It stays there for hours. The only way I can get it to move up is to increase chamber temps to 210* & above. Now this is not a "problem" as such. Just wondering if this is normal.

Robert, I've encountered that same "hang" at about 120º ... but only once. And I've done this multiple times.
Doing 3lbs this Sunday, i'll watch for it again.

I have a question: What's "normal" when it involves BBQ or Bacon?

Except for the meat, I don't think anything is normal.

I agree with Jim. Every cook is different and unique. That's one of the things that make this so much fun.

I made Pork belly bacon about 4 times now. taste has been great but it is always tough more like eating jerky.
Doing cold smoke then finishing at smoker temp of 180 to 200. Not using water in the pan, cooking to 150 internal temp.
Tried several sources for belly, used Berkshire, and other high end pork from the Korean market.
I have done it both with cure 1 pink salt and with Morton tender quick, 7 day dry cure, soaked 1/2 hour then air dried overnight.

Any Idea where it it going wrong?

Last edited:
I made Pork belly bacon about 4 times now. taste has been great but it is always tough more like eating jerky.
Doing cold smoke then finishing at smoker temp of 180 to 200. Not using water in the pan, cooking to 150 internal temp.
Tried several sources for belly, used Berkshire, and other high end pork from the Korean market.
I have done it both with cure 1 pink salt and with Morton tender quick, 7 day dry cure, soaked 1/2 hour then air dried overnight.

Newby to bacon here.... maybe forgo the cold smoke? Just "cool smoke" around 180* to 210*?

The stuff I've made has been pretty good (3 times, so no expert). Can't say it's tender, but it's not jerky.
Are you frying it at high temp?

I learned the water trick in home economics in the 8th grade. My kids and wife prefer me to do most of the cooking. Sad thing is that it's not taught here anymore, was mandatory when I was younger. They even taught us to sew

Frying low temp.

gcSG0br.jpg

Newby to bacon here.... maybe forgo the cold smoke? Just "cool smoke" around 180* to 210*?

The stuff I've made has been pretty good (3 times, so no expert). Can't say it's tender, but it's not jerky.
Are you frying it at high temp?

Make sure you are slicing across the grain, not with it. Just like Tri-Tip.

Shaun,
I would get the internal up to at least 135, but no more than 150.
No issue with texture or tenderness at either extreme.
Good luck, have fun!

Back